Thread poster: Helle Kaiser-Nielsen
Helle Kaiser-Nielsen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:58
English to Danish
+ ...
Oct 30, 2003

Hi there,

does anyone know the specific rules for VAT on invoices from England to other EU countries.

I have always assumed that EU trade was VAT exempt or zero-rated, but my accountant now informs me that:

If I do a translation in England (where I am based and have my offices) and electronically send it to a client based in another EU Member State, I have to charge VAT as the key to VAT charging is WHERE the job was performed, rather than where it ended up.

This means that if I supply translations to e.g. Danish clients, I have to charge them English VAT.

Has anyone else had different rules explained to them and is there a (legal) way to zero-rate UK invoices to EU Member States on translation work?

Thanks
H

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:58
English to German
+ ...
Check again with your accountant... Oct 30, 2003

Hi Helle,
The issue of VAT for cross-border services (such as translations) was discussed in numerous threads recently.

I tend to agree with your accountant as far as translations to non-business customers are concerned. Where your customer is a business (as indicated by the fact that they have a EU VAT ID, i.e. they're VAT-registered themselves), you don't have to charge VAT, AFAIK.

Best, Ralf

United Kingdom
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
References Oct 30, 2003

Thanks, Ralf. I tried to find earlier threads but all seemed to be non-UK.

Would you know if there is a reference or IR form that I can qoute/show to the accountant. (My EU customers are VAT ID registered).

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:58
English to German
+ ...
Check the HMCE website Oct 30, 2003

Hi again,
The Inland Revenue is the wrong authority, since VAT is dealt with by HM Customs & Excise.

I guess this page should be helpful.

HTH - Ralf

United Kingdom
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 3, 2003

Thanks

I also found out that the EU 6th Directive (introduced within the last year) apparently should hold some answers as well

Helle

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
UK: in the EU, but somewhat different. Nov 5, 2003

Fiscal rules are not unified: In the UK, there is no need for a VAT-idnumber if you earn less than £60.000 per annum. You can get one, but it is not obligatory.
If you make a translation for Europe, you export it to another EU-Member-State and that export is VAT-exempt. It is the end-customer (agency) which has to charge VAT for the service to its client.

[Edited at 2003-11-05 13:46]

United Kingdom
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
VAT limit Dec 16, 2003

Hi again,
The VAT matter ended - as predicted and expected - with translation services exported to other EU Member States being exempt from VAT in the UK. So thanks for the tips, replies etc.

Also, the VAT threshold is GBP 56,000 (or was at least for 2003) and not GBP 60,000 - just for the sake of good order etc.
Helle

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT from England to EU customers.

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs