Thread poster: writeaway
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Nov 18, 2003

I just received the following e-mail that includes a .PIF attachment:

"Dear PayPal member,

We regret to inform you that your account is about to be expired in next five business days. To avoid suspension of your account you have to reactivate it by providing us with your personal information.

To update your personal profile and continue using PayPal services you have to run the attached application to this email. Just run it and follow the instructions.
... See more
I just received the following e-mail that includes a .PIF attachment:

"Dear PayPal member,

We regret to inform you that your account is about to be expired in next five business days. To avoid suspension of your account you have to reactivate it by providing us with your personal information.

To update your personal profile and continue using PayPal services you have to run the attached application to this email. Just run it and follow the instructions.

IMPORTANT! If you ignore this alert, your account will be suspended in next five business days and you will not be able to use PayPal anymore.

Thank you for using PayPal.

ouzovsov"

But: I DON'T HAVE A PayPal ACCOUNT!!

My suggestion in case you also receive this message: Delete it as soon as you get it and do NOT open the file. Is either a virus or a trick to get your personal info.

[Edited at 2003-11-18 06:35]

[Edited at 2003-11-18 06:40]

[Edited at 2003-11-18 06:42]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:15
English to German
+ ...
That one's been around for some time... Nov 18, 2003

Hi,
I'm afraid these fake messages (whether or not they contain an infected attachment) have been around for some time. I had two of them myself this morning, but didn't even open them.

There's a section on the Paypal website that gives a few hints on how to distinguish real messages from this junk.

Good luck, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning: Apparently Bogus PayPal Mail

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »