NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 21:35
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Nov 19, 2003

Good morning everyone,
I received an e-mail just now from a regular client (agency) asking me to review some words their client is considering for product names and wants me to verify that those words are not considered offensive in Canada.
I

Direct link Reply with quote

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:35
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Part of Nancy's posting was (accidentally) missed off Nov 19, 2003

(because of a 'less than character'used in "I've", instead of "'"). The whole message is here:

NancyLynn wrote:

Good morning everyone,
I received an e-mail just now from a regular client (agency) asking me to review some words their client is considering for product names and wants me to verify that those words are not considered offensive in Canada.
I've done this a couple of times for another agency which has a list of questions to answer, as well as a more populated list, but I think the fee would be too high for this new job, only two words.
My question (and their question to me)is how to charge them for this? This time it's only two words, but what if this is the first in a series of such req

[Edited at 2003-11-19 13:14]

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 21:35
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
oops - typo causing problems Nov 19, 2003

sorry about that.
I just wanted some ideas from my colleagues, in case this becomes a regular thing with this agency.
Thanks again
Nancy

Thomas Magnuson
Canada
Local time: 18:35
English to Japanese
+ ...
as a consultant, by the hour? Nov 23, 2003

Hi there,

This is just my 2 cents, but how about charging them by the hour in the form of a consultancy fee? It is, afterall, a bit more of a marketing-type thing that they seem to want you to do. Anyhoo, hope that helps (& sorry I don't have a clue about actually how much that hourly rate would be...but I'd love to hear suggestions!)

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:35
English to French
Bonus Nov 24, 2003

Is this a regular customer? I wouldn't bother invoicing for 2 words.

Of course it depends how much work comes behind. If there is a lot more, maybe it would be interesting to combine it all and base the rate on that.

Alternatively, you can ask your minimum charge or an hourly rate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ideas on how to charge ?

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs