Thread poster: gianfranco

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:05
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 25, 2001

I would like to know if there is around any Paypal user and if they have any advice about this service.

Is it good? efficient? reliable?
is it simple to use for both parties?
How common is its use amongst agencies and translators?
Is it convenient for small jobs, or when you want to have some security that you will be paid by unknown customers?

I will be glad if anybody will share comments or direct experiences about the service.

[Edited at 2007-08-04 18:23]

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 13:05
SITE FOUNDER
May 25, 2001

We use the service a lot. It is our preferred way of paying for InstantJob services.

Pros:

- Fast, cheap, easy to use

Cons:

- Not as international as they claim to be

- Customer service is poor-to-bad

Overall, I cant think of many reasons not to sign up for the service...but when a better one comes along (ProPay?), with better international support and customer service, we\'ll switch.

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:05
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
May 25, 2001

Quote:

Pros:

- Fast, cheap, easy to use

Cons:

- Not as international as they claim to be

- Customer service is poor-to-bad

Thanks for this info.

How long it takes to receive a payment or to be sure that the payment has been done?

How do you check this?

I understand they are mainly US based.

I would be interested in knowing if they can be used conveniently from Europe (in my case from the UK).

Anyone with a personal good/bad experience?

What problems have been encountered?

Sorry about this bombardment of questions, but probably many colleagues are interested in this payment method.

Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: mancag on 2001-05-25 10:39 ]

HasmikP
French to Armenian
+ ...
Jun 12, 2001

I am interested in this sytem, too. Just do not know if it is ok to work with for me. I am in Armenia. And if it is better for freelancers or agencies.

Information is appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Thai Translation
Local time: 00:05
English to Thai
+ ...
Jun 15, 2001

Me too ! I want to know whether it can be used in Thailand < Don\'t know this country ? Never mind >

xxxeurotransl
German to English
+ ...
Jun 15, 2001

I suppose the easiest way to find out if PayPal is available in your region is by going to www.paypal.com; when signing up for the service, the page will tell if your country is one of the \"PayPals\" right now.

But always keep checking - they are continuously adding more countries.

flaviofbg
Spain
Local time: 19:05
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Wallet Payment / PayPal Payment? Oct 12, 2001

Hi Henry,

about a recent InstantJob I have completed: why payment is directed to my Wallet before than my PayPal account? Does it have to be a minimum of 25$ to be withdrawn on PayPal directly?

Thanks, Flavio

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Payments made to ProZ.com wallet Oct 17, 2001

Hello Flavio,

We are now putting InstantJob payments through ProZ.com wallets. The wallet is our accounting system, and by passing the payment through there, it goes on record automatically. (More things, like Platinum membership, will be shifted to the wallet for the same reason.)

In principle, you should have at least $25 to request a payout. This is standard in most cases where small payments are earned online (Amazon\'s affiliate program, etc., follow the same policy). There are two considerations here: (1) small payments may be eaten up by payment transfer fees (or paper and stamps!), and

(2) we can\'t afford to take the time to write checks or go to the bank, wait in line and fill out a wire transfer request on every $5 job.

In your case, with PayPal, it will be easy enough for us to pay. Request the payout via your wallet. (It *should* be possible for the PayPal option...)

Henry

Dave Simons
French to English
A Pay Pal warning... Oct 21, 2001

I just came across this web site:

http://paypalwarning.com/

Now I don\'t use PayPal myself and I\'m not trying to tell anyone what to do. But having seen this site, I reckon it\'s my duty to allow others to judge for themselves.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Confirming credit cards with PayPal Oct 27, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-10-21 04:22, mrquiz wrote:

I just came across this web site:

http://paypalwarning.com/

Now I don\'t use PayPal myself and I\'m not trying to tell anyone what to do. But having seen this site, I reckon it\'s my duty to allow others to judge for themselves.

I read through some of the stuff on the URL above. Scary movie!

Confirming cards with PayPal is no mean feat if you are based in France. I joined as it sounded like a decent way to get paid for quick jobs especially form clients ex-EU. So I read through the small print, signed up and waited. After having filled in what I had to fill in and clicked where I was told to click, I sat back and waited. You need to wait until a 4-digit number (code) appears on your bank statement to which your credit card is linked before you can activate your account and get your sticky mitts on your dosh. So be it. It is comforting to know that some sort of checking system makes sure that not every Tom, Dick and Harry can get hold of your precious bank details.

So where\'s the problem? No any-digit number appeared. I conatced my bank to see whether they abbreviated numbers. No, they did not. Start again... four times (2 times each on two different cards and then I finally gave up.) After two attempts to register one card, manual confirmation is the only way possible. So be it. So, letter from my bank confirming that my card number XXXX was indeed on account number XXX at etc, etc, etc. + copy passport (I ahev two passports) + copy of the credit card itself. (Not to keen about the last idea, I must admit). Still. Went through it all, scanned, faxed it and 3 and a half weeks to get the stuff confirmed. I continued to receive messages from Pay Pal during this time saying I had to confirm my card. I got my own back - o! sweet revenge! - by sending them e-mails and faxes asking when they were going to be able to confirm my card as they had all the information they had asked for!!!

It finally got sorted out, but a telephone contact number would have been helpful.

At last I got my money through.

I\'m a bit worried after having read Dave\'s message.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-10-27 10:03 ]

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
German to English
+ ...
I have never had a problem with PayPal Oct 27, 2001

I have read through the website (\"PayPal warning\"), and I must say that the site contains a lot of bull. For example: right there, it says that customers \"have an impossible time talking to a live person\", etc. - NOT TRUE. Whenever I called PayPal, I got a live person on the phone (within a relatively short time), and they were very nice and \"real\".

I don\'t doubt that accounts may be frozen, but this particular problem may be limited to certain customers or countries.

Don\'t get me wrong: I do know about the problems encountered by those that live outside the US or Canada, but that has to do with the fact that PayPal, despite its \"international\" reach, is basically a service primarily intended for the North-American market: PayPal is based on the North-American banking system and has, therefore, some major problems with Europe and other countries. One time, I asked a PayPal agent whether they considered offering other currencies as well (right now, payments must be denominated in US$), for example EURO, and this guy told me that this would never happen because PayPal is an American company.

I am quite sure that, if I lived in Europe right now, I would probably not use PayPal (for making payments, yes; no to receiving payments).

So, perhaps we should just accept, for the time being, the fact that PayPal is a wonderful service for the US and Canada only.

I am also waiting for ProPay to come to Canada (right now it is available to Americans only), but it looks very promising (more so than PayPal). But again, it will encounter the same problems, to be sure, as PayPal: it will work nicely for Americans and, some day, Canadians, but the rest of the world will have to wait and see.

On a final note: PayPal is not the main channel of payment for anyone; most of my clients balk at the idea of having to become a member first (even though membership is free) in order to make a payment (that\'s where ProPay will come in, hopefully).

And: any kind of credit-card or electronic payment will always be a major headache for Europeans (or anywhere outside of North America for that matter) because the use of credit cards and electronic payment is, in my experience, not as wide-spread as it is in North America (e.g., try going to a convenience store in Munich and pay with your bank card, ie, debit card! Over here, I can even go to my local coffeeshop and pay for the coffee with my debit/ATM card).

Evelyna Radoslavova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:05
English to French
+ ...
Haven't had a problem with PayPal Nov 9, 2001

I agree with Werner, Paypal is great for the US and Canada, but I can see where overseas countries may encounter problems. I have used it for over a year, and haven\'t had a problem with registering my accounts or getting my money across. I don\'t use it to receive payments simply because my clients are located almost exclusively in North America, and a cheque works just fine.

As for www.paypalwarning.com, I read through some of the stuff too. However, I should advise you to take it with a grain of salt. First and foremost, this is an *anonymous* site as far as I could see. Second, some of the posters seem to be engaging in somewhat unsavoury activities. FInally, as far as I can judge, Paypal\'s major fault is being overly cautious and not having a readily available customer service.

Dave Simons
French to English
Paypal - watch this space Nov 27, 2001

Since my first \"paypalwarning\" posting there has been a lively balanced debate on slashdot.org about Paypal problems. If any concensus came across it was that once the money\'s in your Paypal account, you should get it out of there ASAP, because the tiniest of problems can cause them to freeze the whole of your account.

Slashdot\'s archives search facility is down for the moment but as soon as I find it\'s back up I\'ll post the URL.

Dave

Here it is: after weeding out the trolls and other such creatures (which Slashdot\'s moderation-by-participation sytem makes a great job of), you\'ll find a lot of rich points of view about PayPal among the 184 comments.

Hope this proves of help to someone.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/11/10/0530228&mode=thread

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-29 11:07 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About Paypal...is it useful?

Advanced search

Translation news

TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs