https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/16167-rates_for_high_volume_project.html

rates for high-volume project
Thread poster: Mateja Virant
Mateja Virant
Mateja Virant  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:35
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Nov 26, 2003

Hi,

for a high-volume project I have to state the rates for: TR only/ED only/TR+ED/Hourly.
If I would normaly charge 0,10 euro per word for TR+ED, what should I charge for the high-volume project.
Thank you very much for your advice and help.
Best regards

Mateja Virant

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No easy answer Nov 26, 2003

Hi Mateja,
I don't think there's a straightforward answer anyone could give you without knowing your business. The discount (if any) you are willing to give for a large-sized project depends on many factors which are specific to your situation, including (but not limited to):

- the average utilisation of your capacity;
- the percentage of your time you spend on marketing (which you would obviously save on a large assignment);
- the extent to which you
... See more
Hi Mateja,
I don't think there's a straightforward answer anyone could give you without knowing your business. The discount (if any) you are willing to give for a large-sized project depends on many factors which are specific to your situation, including (but not limited to):

- the average utilisation of your capacity;
- the percentage of your time you spend on marketing (which you would obviously save on a large assignment);
- the extent to which you will gain efficiency by working on the same project for some time (as opposed to having to conduct research for, say, ten individual projects).

You will also have to factor in any negative side effects on your general business (i.e. not being available for other customers), and the risk involved in working for one big customer: if you have a diversified customer base, losing one won't hurt as much as losing 50% of your business at once.

By the same token, your customer should not automatically assume that there's a volume discount: bear in mind that they're going to gain efficiency by outsourcing to one person rather than having to equalise the differences in style among, say, ten translators.

I realise this isn't the answer you were looking for, but this is your business decision, after all.

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:35
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
A decision based on very personal "factors" Nov 27, 2003

Hi,

as Ralf has already pointed out, our rate for high-volume projects should consider several factors.

For ex., I have never accepted to translate and edit a large-volume project (over 50,000 wds), as this activity would monipolize my working day for several weeks (i.e. no time left for other jobs). The best solution is, in my case, to accept the editing (and eventually the coordination) only. Still, this is "my case". Some other professionals might come to different c
... See more
Hi,

as Ralf has already pointed out, our rate for high-volume projects should consider several factors.

For ex., I have never accepted to translate and edit a large-volume project (over 50,000 wds), as this activity would monipolize my working day for several weeks (i.e. no time left for other jobs). The best solution is, in my case, to accept the editing (and eventually the coordination) only. Still, this is "my case". Some other professionals might come to different conclusions according to their schedule and type of work.

Anyhow, your final rate should be made up, if you offer a ready-made product (translation & editing), by translation rate + editing rate, as if the work were done by two (or more) different professionals: the client/PM would invest less time in coordinating the project, if (s)he has to deal with only one professional (correspondence and passing files back and forth "steel" a lot of time).

Your advantages would be (for the time you are busy with a single job) that a) you have sure work for an x number of weeks b) you invest (perhaps) less time in corresponding and quoting rates c) the more you get familiar with the text, the less time you need for translating (which is almost like saying that your rate per word is higher than it looks).

In one sentence, you are the only one, who can tell how high/low your rate should be.

Giuliana
Collapse

Mateja Virant
Mateja Virant  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Dec 2, 2003

Hi Giuliana, hi Ralf,

thank you very much for your help. I decided not to lower my prices. Now I am waiting what the klient is going to say.

Thank you and best regards,

Mateja Virant

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

rates for high-volume project

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »