Agencies and Prices
Thread poster: David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:54
Spanish to English
Dec 3, 2003

I am a relatively new freelancer (castellano to english). In my CV, like most people I include my fees/word. The range I quote has been set by agencies who have sent me work. Therefore my minimum, at the moment is 0.04Euros(5 US cents)/word. Recently, I have been sent offers of work from 2 agencies, but asking for my price for example 2000 words. I have quoted my lowest price 70 Euros and have been turned down or to be more exact have heard nothing more. Is there more to bidding that I should know ?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Peanuts Dec 3, 2003

0.04 Euros/5 US Cents is peanuts. It defeats me how anyone in western Europe can make a reasonable living and deliver work to a satisfactory standard whilst charging rates as low as this.

My two peanuts.

Marc

[Edited at 2003-12-04 06:08]

prmlistas
English to Spanish
+ ...
0.04 € a really low rate Dec 3, 2003

I also agree that 0.04€ is a really low rate. I've just seen that there's a job offer today at Proz for Frech>Spanish Translators whishing to undertake a 10,900 word technical project for 0.035/word! Well, they say that is 0.04, with a total of 381,50€, so that means that they're only willing to pay 0.035 per word for a Technical Translation, this is ridiculous! What could we do to make clients realise that these rates are not fair? We, translators, should not accept things like that...

David Brown wrote:

I am a relatively new freelancer (castellano to english). In my CV, like most people I include my fees/word. The range I quote has been set by agencies who have sent me work. Therefore my minimum, at the moment is 0.04Euros(5 US cents)/word. Recently, I have been sent offers of work from 2 agencies, but asking for my price for example 2000 words. I have quoted my lowest price 70 Euros and have been turned down or to be more exact have heard nothing more. Is there more to bidding that I should know ?

Francesca moletta
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
THAT'S THE PROBLEM! Dec 3, 2003

As long as people will translate and accept to work for peanuts, agencies and end clients offering peanuts will exist and so on ...

David, your rate is too low!

I know good translators working for that rate here in Italy! That's why Italian agencies' rates are very low! I don't work with Italian agency at all. I cannot even work with Italian direct clients. All these situations are caused by people working for peanuts!! Wonder how they manage to live?
I know very good translators who work for 0,04 just because they live with mom and dad at 30 years of age (usual in Italy) so they don't have to gain their life!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies and Prices

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs