Mobile menu

US Taxes: Self-employment Tax
Thread poster: Barbara Piela

Barbara Piela
Local time: 05:30
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 27, 2004

Must a freelance translator (working in the US for the American translation agencies) pay a self-employment tax (file schedule SE) and an income tax (1040 and schedule C or C-EZ) or the income tax only?
This all (self-employment tax plus income tax plus state tax) makes about 40%!
I asked this question (and many others) to IRS, but the answer is not clear for me:
“A Resident Alien of the United States has the same liability for Social Security and Medicare taxes as a United States citizen does. You should file schedule SE with your tax return.”
Maybe I asked too many questions in one letter and they did not find out that I am a freelance translator or maybe it’s true…
Thanks!

[Edited at 2004-01-27 21:08]

[Edited at 2004-01-27 21:30]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US Taxes: Self-employment Tax

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs