Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:11
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 27, 2004

I just found this listing on Ebay:

"I am an accomplished professional translator with an honors degree from the University of Michigan in Spanish and more than 10 years professional translation experience in a wide variety of areas, including business, economics, politics and literature.
The $9.95 starting bid is for 2 pages, but you may contract for as many pages as you require, at the same price [$5/page if the auction closes at this price]. This is, obviously, an exceptionally competitive rate.

If you win, I will send you an email asking for the particulars of your project, including number of pages, subject matter and deadline requirements. I will then ask for 50% of the total fee, the remainder to be paid upon completion of the work, which I will email [and/or hard copy] you.

I accept PayPal only, and please don't hesitate to get in touch with me with any questions. I will be glad to furnish you with references, and I do guarantee your satisfaction."

I don't know whether to think that this is a novel idea or to be disgusted that this person is charging $5/page.

Direct link Reply with quote

Local time: 02:11
English to French
+ ...
Translation on Ebay ? Feb 3, 2004

I wouldn't worry. Would you give a translation to someone on Ebay without email adress, identification, who wants first 50% of the fee ?

Anna Muntean Stacanova
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
I would be worried now!!!!! Dec 22, 2009

I just read this thread and out of curiosity looked on the Ebay. Was too surprised to believe it.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
I would not be worried Dec 22, 2009

Translation by a professional translator with 40 years experience.
No machine translation involved.
72 languages available.
No extra charge for highly specialized science and technology.

A guy with 40 years experience translating highly specialized science and technology into 72 target languages is just too funny

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:11
English to Spanish
I've seen it lots of times Dec 22, 2009

In the Chilean branch of eBay (mercadolibre), there used to be lots of translators offering their services (don't know about now, since I haven't checked in a long time).

The stated rates were basically less than peanuts, which isn't really surprising in most cases, given that the advertisers were claiming to translate "in all areas" (jack of all trades), with a daily output of 5k words or more in highly technical documentation, to and from English, etc.

I find it very hard to believe that serious, quality-minded individuals/companies who know our worth will look in eBay for a professional translator, specially after reading some of those adverts.

[Edited at 2009-12-22 22:17 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
It's a free market Dec 22, 2009

People can charge whatever they want. My only concern is that translation buyers get the impression that these providers represent the entire market, both in price and quality. On the other hand, people buying translations on Ebay are likely to have very low expectations to begin with, so no harm done to my market segment.

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Craig's List Dec 22, 2009

If you think e-bay is bad, you should see some of the listings on Craig's List:

(There is a write/edit/translate category under services).

Selling Translation Services on Ebay Dec 22, 2009

so he (it) is a second-hand dealer, oooops, a second-hand translator ...
clearly, no guarantee at all on second-hand goods and anyway, I'm curious to know who is brave enough to be "its" reference ...

"which I will email [and/or hard copy] you."
and I hope that postal rates are low in US, otherwise it will go bankrupt ...

[Modificato alle 2009-12-22 22:38 GMT]

MariusV  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:11
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
ebay translations? Dec 23, 2009

1. Primary bid - 0.01 USD per word;
2. Bid step - 0.01 USD;
3. "Buy it now" - 0.15 USD per word (for human translation);
4. If the bid is lower, then no problem - can do any volume, turnaround, any area or language in any time using google translate Or can offer the client do the same - just for fun.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Selling Translation Services on Ebay

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs