Thread poster: Alexandra Bühler

Alexandra Bühler  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:08
English to German
+ ...
Jan 28, 2004

Hi there,

I'm wondering if it makes sense to get paid by wire tranfer to my credit card. I have one client in the Far East, and to save transfer cost I thought this might be a cost-efficient solution.

Does anybody know if there will also be fees that I have to bear when receiving payments via my credit card?

Thanks for infos!

Alexandra

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check with your CC company Jan 30, 2004

Hi Alexandra,
I think the issuer of your credit card is the only entity that can give you a definitive answer on this one. When you contact them, make sure to emphasise that you're talking about incoming international payments.

HTH, Ralf

Alexandra Bühler  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I asked them but ... Jan 30, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Alexandra,
I think the issuer of your credit card is the only entity that can give you a definitive answer on this one. When you contact them, make sure to emphasise that you're talking about incoming international payments.

They say they only charge 1,5% of the total sum, but I cannot imagine that these are the only costs I have to pay ... what about the bank from whích my client transfers the money?
HTH, Ralf

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Payer's bank Jan 30, 2004

Hi again,
They say they only charge 1,5% of the total sum, but I cannot imagine that these are the only costs I have to pay ... what about the bank from whích my client transfers the money?

Good point - this depends on how your client issues the payment instruction. The standard instruction is a "shared" payment, where each party bears the costs charged by its bank - in which case you would "only" be charged 1.5% (which is quite substantial, unless you're talking about small payments). However, if your client refuses to pay any fees, you will be charged with their bank's fees, too - in the case of international transfers outside the EU, these can be substantial (up to EUR 50, depending on the countries and the number of banks involved).

HTH, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment to credit card

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs