Mobile menu

Global fee (Mod: Subsequent reduction of agreed fee to match other translator's rates)
Thread poster: lien

lien
Netherlands
Local time: 16:56
English to French
+ ...
Feb 3, 2004

I have a problem, here, with the agency. I did a translation en>fr some times ago and everything was fine. The author added some text to the manuscript, and the agency asked me if I wanted to translate and reshape the translated texte around the additions. They asked my rates, I proposed to be paid by the hour, which was agreed upon, and now they write me back telling me that the german translator (I do the french translation) asked XXX euros and if I am OK with that ?

What do I answer ? I mean I am knocked out by the proposition, I do not care if the german translator did it even for a box of chocolates, I would like to judge by myself how long it will take !

What I do not know is how to put in wording the polite way what I think of the proposition.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Third-party agreements are irrelevant Feb 3, 2004

Hi Lien,
You entered into an agreement with the agency - any agreements they have vis-à-vis third parties is irrelevant as far as yours is concerned.

Whenever a customer tries to re-negotiate after the event, I firmly point out that I'm open to negotiation - as long as this takes place before an agreement is made.

HTH, Ralf

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:26
English to Tamil
+ ...
Ralf is 100% right Feb 3, 2004

You can tell the client that you stand by the agreement you both have concluded and nothing more need be said on the subject. Hope you have not yet started the work. If so, do not start till you get this cleared up and shift the agreed upon deadline suitably. If you have finished the translation and not sent it, don't send it till blah blah.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Ralph and Narasimhan Feb 3, 2004

Of course I did not start yet ! I think this is a kind of "testing 1-2-3" de la part de l'agence, a mon egard. "How far can we push?"

They did not even send the material yet, as this has to be done on hard copy, with indication by the author, me having the original translation on my comp. That's why, I can't say anything before seeing the job.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Global fee (Mod: Subsequent reduction of agreed fee to match other translator's rates)

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs