Will you help a rookie?
Thread poster: artemisia (X)
artemisia (X)
artemisia (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:42
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 19, 2002

Hi everybody, this is my first time on a ProZ forum and therefore you will excuse me if I selected the wrong topic for my question...

I have been assigned a huge job by a British agency called WordSystem LTD. It seems not to have a web site, neither is it listed amongst ProZ rated agencies.

Does anybody know them or has ever worked with them?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:42
Member (2004)
English to Italian
iscriviti alla lista TCR... Mar 19, 2002

(Translator Client Review) e chiedi là. In genere salta fuori qualcuno che ti dà informazioni preziose.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TCR/

Puoi anche fare un ricerca degli archivi.

Giovanni

P.S. Sorry about the Italian... I assumed the message had been posted in the Italian forum.

[ This Message was edited by: o
... See more
(Translator Client Review) e chiedi là. In genere salta fuori qualcuno che ti dà informazioni preziose.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TCR/

Puoi anche fare un ricerca degli archivi.

Giovanni

P.S. Sorry about the Italian... I assumed the message had been posted in the Italian forum.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-19 11:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-19 11:43 ]
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
I looked at TCR for you ... Mar 19, 2002

... and there\'s nothing useful there. The company is mentioned but no good info on their payment practices. So now it\'s a question of your own judgement: Have you spoken to them on the phone? Have they given you a purchase order? What\'s your gut feeling? Are you willing to take the risk of not getting paid for this job? It\'s up to you but I would say if something you couldn\'t quite put a finger on is screaming at you, then leave it!

Gillian Noameshie

Derek Smith
Derek Smith  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Payment by instalments Mar 19, 2002

I believe it\'s fairly standard practice to invoice (and collect for) very long jobs in instalments - after all, a translator cannot be expected to live on thin air while labouring through the workshop manual for, say, the QE2. Perhaps you could arrange to do the job in 100 page batches, each to be invoiced and settled separately before proceeding - that way you only stand to lose 100 pages, which is hardly a pleasant prospect but presumably far less daunting than risking the entire amount.
... See more
I believe it\'s fairly standard practice to invoice (and collect for) very long jobs in instalments - after all, a translator cannot be expected to live on thin air while labouring through the workshop manual for, say, the QE2. Perhaps you could arrange to do the job in 100 page batches, each to be invoiced and settled separately before proceeding - that way you only stand to lose 100 pages, which is hardly a pleasant prospect but presumably far less daunting than risking the entire amount.

Respectfully

Derek
Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
How about X% upfront? Mar 19, 2002

I would do two things: Ask them for a signed PO and upfront payment of , say 15% the total amount.

But a signed PO is essential.

Good luck!

Ellemiek Drucker
Ellemiek Drucker  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
have done a small job for them Apr 2, 2002

Hi Antonella,

I have done a small job for them and they paid me within 4 days. Also I have seen that they are now included in the Proz. Agency ratings list where I posted my rates the other day.

Good luck on your assignment

Ellemiek

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Think twice Apr 2, 2002

Think twice, for sure.

I wouldn\'t be surprised if you\'re referring to a rather large SAP job, whereby the outsourcer (Wordsystem Ltd) pays 0.045 $ per source word in Word and 0.06 in Powerpoint.

They \'offered\' me something like this a couple of weeks ago (and indeed promised to pay for the test translation - Ellemiek are you referring to this?) and now got back to me regarding the following batches.

I will not even reply.

<
... See more
Think twice, for sure.

I wouldn\'t be surprised if you\'re referring to a rather large SAP job, whereby the outsourcer (Wordsystem Ltd) pays 0.045 $ per source word in Word and 0.06 in Powerpoint.

They \'offered\' me something like this a couple of weeks ago (and indeed promised to pay for the test translation - Ellemiek are you referring to this?) and now got back to me regarding the following batches.

I will not even reply.

By the way,

- why don\'t they work with the translators who did the first batch?

Yes, SAP is not exactly a subject anyone can translate.

- Wordsystem works out of Danmark, even though they claim to be based in the UK.

E-mails are sent by a Karl Svensson using

[email protected]

The address mentioned on his e-mails:

Karl Svensson

Wordsystem Ltd

19 Kathleen Road

London

United kingdom

The actual registrant is:

Tele Danmark Internet (DIREKTE2-DOM)

Olof Palmes Alle 36

Arhus N, 8200

DK

Domain Name: DIREKTE.ORG

Administrative Contact, Billing Contact:

Lindberg, Frank (FL3436) [email protected]

Tele Danmark Internet

Olof Palmes Alle 36

Arhus N, 8200

DK

+4586783300

Technical Contact:

Funktionen, Hostmaster (HF190-RIPE) [email protected]

Tele Danmark Internet

Olof Palmes Alle 36

Aarhus N, 8200

DK

+45 86 78 33 00 (FAX) +45 86 78 38 00

Anyway, it\'s up to you to decide if you want to go ahead with this.

I would, however, ask for some clarifications with respect to their company registration and -but that\'s another matter altogether- would not work at the above mentioned rates.

Good luck.
[addsig]
Collapse

artemisia (X)
artemisia (X)  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Apr 2, 2002

Thanks to you all, dear colleagues!

FYI, I accepted that assignement and I can\'t complain at all! I\'ll score Wordsystem on ProZ as soon as I am done with it!

And, Evert, it is not the job you were referring to... Ciao

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Good to hear that Apr 3, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-02 15:19, artemisia wrote:

Thanks to you all, dear colleagues!

FYI, I accepted that assignement and I can\'t complain at all! I\'ll score Wordsystem on ProZ as soon as I am done with it!

And, Evert, it is not the job you were referring to... Ciao

Good to hear that and good luck!

[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Will you help a rookie?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »