Thread poster: Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 11:34
German to Romanian
+ ...
Feb 21, 2004

I am sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum, but I wasn't sure where to post.

I am curious how you deal with payments from clients. Do you confirm the receipt of a payment? I mean I used to do this in the bginning, but my clients all pay like clockwork and after 5 or 6 payments I am wondering if I should confirm every payment or just let things go on, as the client knows I have received it if I'm not saying anything. I am curious how others deal with this.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I don't Feb 21, 2004

Hallo Eli,
I don't confirm payments - as you indicated already, they assume that everything's ok unless I start enquiring.

Best, Ralf

Imane Ricard (X)
Imane Ricard (X)
English to French
I confirm payment Feb 21, 2004

Hello,

I ask when payment will be made and I confirm reception. The idea is also to keep in touch and follow-up on new/potential jobs.

Best,
Imane

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:04
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
It is just question of public relations Feb 22, 2004

Let me cite an example. I was following up the question of payment with a client over a bill long due. There were lots of phone calls exchanged. At last the cheque arrived. I immediately sent an email acknowledging its receipt and then proceeded to phone the concerned accounts man thanking him for the cheque. I told him that just as I do not hesitate to pester him over delayed cheques, it is my moral duty to thank him as soon as my grievance is attended to. Believe me the accounts man became my ... See more
Let me cite an example. I was following up the question of payment with a client over a bill long due. There were lots of phone calls exchanged. At last the cheque arrived. I immediately sent an email acknowledging its receipt and then proceeded to phone the concerned accounts man thanking him for the cheque. I told him that just as I do not hesitate to pester him over delayed cheques, it is my moral duty to thank him as soon as my grievance is attended to. Believe me the accounts man became my best friend and in subsequent follow ups he was very courteous as well as helpful to the extent possible. Politeness always pays.
In this context I am reminded of what I read in the Readers' Digest. It seems that in one company all the ougoing telegrams ended with the word "regards". Some smartaleck calculated that these words cumulatively cost a lot of money and persuaded the management to issuue a circular saying: "in future there will be no regards at the end of telegrams". Over the next few months telegrams were ended with "no regards". Not only it resulted in more expenditure, there was a heavy loss of goodwill as well.
Regards!
N.Raghavan
Collapse

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I dont' either Mar 30, 2004

Hello,

I dont confirm payments. I am usually paid on time so I only enquire if payments are not done or late.

Also, if companies pay by bank transfer they know it is received:-) and cheques are really not an option for many companies any more.

Best regards,
Mónica

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Narasimhan, Mar 31, 2004

very funny story ! You are a ray of sun on prozz, with your wisdom, good advices and you common sense and your humour. Thank you.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I don't, but... Mar 31, 2004

Elvira Stoianov wrote:
I am curious how you deal with payments from clients. Do you confirm the receipt of a payment?

I should, but I'm lazy. I'm a full-time salaried translator who does freelance work on the side. So for me knowing when the money arrives in my account is not all that important. But I think having a good accounting system is a good idea. If anything, it'll help a lot when the time comes to sort out your income tax statements.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Create the impression that you're well organised Mar 31, 2004

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:
Believe me the accounts man became my best friend and in subsequent follow ups he was very courteous as well as helpful to the extent possible. Politeness always pays.

I agree with Narasimhan and I'd like to add to that: it pays to create the impression with clients that your business is a well-oiled machine. If you send out invoices on time and you acknowledge receipt of any letters or payment in good time, you'll create the impression that you are a stable business contact that can be relied upon.

The opposite is also true. If the client has to milk you for the invoice or your bank details or confirmation of receipt or any such communication, he'll get the impression that you're a disorganised person. Translation (and hence translation business) is all about accuracy and timeliness.

The translator is a single nut in a big publishing machine. Translators are a dime a dozen. If the client thinks you are reliable, he'll think twice about looking elsewhere. Accuracy is important to us, but often reliability is more important to the client because it enables him to run a more efficient business himself.

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:34
English to Russian
+ ...
do you say Hello to the people? Apr 2, 2004

Russians say - even tomcat likes a good word.

When the payment is acknowledged it is always pleasant for a person who sent it.

Just think what if you were that usually unknown clerk dealing with other people money! Would you like to get sudden, unexpected, kind Hello from somebody far away?

Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:34
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I always do! Apr 2, 2004

I always confirm payments, and take advantage of the email to reiterate my interest in working with them again. What a free opportunity to push your services one more time and remind them that you're available!

Sandra

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok, but ... Apr 2, 2004

If you had a regular client who sent you payments every two or three weeks while you're still working for him, there is no need to market your availability. This may apply for the first payments from a company, but what about this situation, when you know they are paying like clockwork, every month, etc.?

Sandra Alboum wrote:

I always confirm payments, and take advantage of the email to reiterate my interest in working with them again. What a free opportunity to push your services one more time and remind them that you're available!

Sandra

Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:34
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
That's another case, then Apr 2, 2004

So then, I just confirm payment was received.

"Dear John:

This is to confirm that I have received your check #1234 in the amount of $1000.00 for my invoice #____. Thank you!

Sandra"

I see it as courtesy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you confirm payments?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »