Thread poster: Sandra Alboum

Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:54
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 26, 2004

Anyone have any experience with IKobo, a competitor to PayPal?

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Comments... Feb 27, 2004

Sandra Alboum wrote:
Anyone have any experience with IKobo?

When you sign up, the opt-out options are hidden in a popup. So expect to receive spam from them unless you were clever enough to notice the opt-out link and realise what it meant.

Any other comments? It seems even easier to sign up for sending money than with Moneybookers.com.

Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:54
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nothing "stolen" from your credit?? Apr 8, 2004

Hi Alan,

>country fee and no multicurrency fee. This >is because they send you an iKard which is >a Visa debit card. After that you can >withdraw your money very easily from any >ATM Visa card.

If a client pays you a 1,000 USD invoice, do you get credited those same 1,000 USD in your iKard, or does iKobo keep some of that to themselves??

Thank you,
Jose B. Ruivo

Stefan Kopp
Malaysia
Local time: 13:54
English to German
are they real? May 12, 2004

Hi Ralf, I see you are the moderator, so I write to you. I am also concerned with these people from Paypal, its a shame that this service is so restricted. But I have to admit that I am critical to all these Internet offers where you dont know who is behind. Like iKobo. I wanted to find out if it really works to transfer money from paypal, but if you click on the profils of the people who seem to have good experiences with iKobo, what do you get? An EMTY profile. Thats much more than suspicios. The easiest answer would be that these are iKobo people, but I dont know what to think about it. All seems very suspicious to me and finally I think we should all use the old fashioned established banks, at least than we know who cheats us.
Stefan

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't know, TBH May 12, 2004

Hi Stefan,
Hi Ralf, I see you are the moderator, so I write to you.

Thanks, but please note that you're posting in a forum, so really, you're writing to everyone reading it.

I am also concerned with these people from Paypal, its a shame that this service is so restricted. But I have to admit that I am critical to all these Internet offers where you dont know who is behind.

Generally, this is a healthy attitude.

Like iKobo. I wanted to find out if it really works to transfer money from paypal, but if you click on the profils of the people who seem to have good experiences with iKobo, what do you get? An EMTY profile. Thats much more than suspicios.

Although I don't much like empty profiles myself, you shouldn't read too much into that. There could be lots of reasons why a profile is being left empty - lack of time or dedication being just one of them. Obviously, over time we hope that people come back and add information.
An empty profile doesn't exactly add weight to one's statement, but that's as far as it goes, I think.

The easiest answer would be that these are iKobo people, but I dont know what to think about it.

Again, it can be dangerous to be jumping to conclusions (although some would see yours as an obvious one). Rest assured that ProZ.com staff and moderators keep an eye (or two) on things - at this point I have no indication of any relationship between these posters and Ikobo.

All seems very suspicious to me and finally I think we should all use the old fashioned established banks, at least than we know who cheats us.
Stefan

Careful here, you're talking to an ex-banker...
But seriously: although I'm not always happy with the way banks conduct business (particularly now that I see them from a customer's perspective...), I have yet to find a major bank that would actually cheat.

My main concern with web-based payment system is creditor protection: what happens in the event of insolvency?

Best regards, Ralf

Zaphael
Romania
Local time: 09:54
English to Romanian
+ ...
:( May 13, 2004

I have to say I feel like someone is implying I am in some way in league with ikobo. The only connection I have with them is me having an account with them. I was only tring to help people and for that I am almost being labeled as a spammer. I guess this is what you get for trying to help people these days.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
An empty profile leaves room for (mis-)interpretation May 13, 2004

Hi Zaphael,
As I said in my response to Stefan, I don't think there is any connection.

But try to see it this way:
Your profile is almost completely empty - IIRC at the beginning it didn't even show your country of residence. Now as I said, there may be perfectly legitimate reasons, but the fact remains that your profile still is, in effect, a blank space.

On top of this, all of your forum posts I noticed here were related to one single topic (yes, exactly). Don't think of "big brother" - as the moderator of this forum, I read almost every single post.

As a result, looking just at this information (remember that we don't have any chance of getting to know more about you, unless you choose to tell us), the idea that there might be some connection isn't that far off. Of course, that doesn't mean that it's true - which is why I reminded everyone that jumping to conclusions is not a good concept to follow.

In summary, please don't take it as a personal offence, but as a reminder to put a bit more of yourself into that profile. People like to know who they're dealing with - don't you?

Best regards,
Ralf

Zaphael
Romania
Local time: 09:54
English to Romanian
+ ...
... May 14, 2004

Well, as you can see I've put a little more in my profile. I just didn't get a chance to fill it in. Just what would you like to know? And yes, my posts are about one thing, because that's what I'm interested in right now, and that's what I looked up and thought to share my experience. Just want to "clear my name" that's all.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Nothing personal... May 14, 2004

Hi again,
Well, as you can see I've put a little more in my profile.

Don't see much, TBH... to get other people's view of your profile, click on the link when on top of your Edit Profile page.

I just didn't get a chance to fill it in. Just what would you like to know?

Look, this isn't about me, or about any other specific member here. All I wanted to point out that if you provided a bit more info about yourself, others will find it easier to enter into a dialogue. Think about it: wouldn't you know if the other person is a freelancer, running an agency, a staff translator, or maybe working in a completely different field? See what I mean?

And yes, my posts are about one thing, because that's what I'm interested in right now, and that's what I looked up and thought to share my experience. Just want to "clear my name" that's all.

There's nothing to clear. I hope you'll find a chance to participate in other discussions - there's an abundance to discover.

Best regards, Ralf

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experience with IKobo

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs