Mobile menu

Alternative payment methods besides PayPal and Moneybookers
Thread poster: Clarisa Morales
Clarisa Morales
English to Spanish
Mar 22, 2004

Hello.

Are there any other payment alternatives besides PayPal and Moneybookers? I would like to find a site where anybody with a credit card could pay me, without having to become a member of any site.

In short: I search a reliable web based credit card payment method, so that customers with their credit card can pay directly to my credit card/bank account without having to become a member anywhere, like you have to on PayPal.

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:29
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Credit card or micropayments Mar 22, 2004

Clarisa Morales wrote:
I would like to find a site where anybody with a credit card could pay me, without having to become a member of any site.

Try googling for credit+card+payment+online. I get several hits on that. But... it's expensive.

Or try micropayment system such as BitPass (but your client will have to sign up... although your client can sign up directly with his credit card without having to be a member of PayPal already).

smarinella  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Did you try Moneygram? Mar 22, 2004

Samuel Murray-Smit wrote:

Clarisa Morales wrote:
I would like to find a site where anybody with a credit card could pay me, without having to become a member of any site.

Try googling for credit+card+payment+online. I get several hits on that. But... it's expensive.

Or try micropayment system such as BitPass (but your client will have to sign up... although your client can sign up directly with his credit card without having to be a member of PayPal already).

smarinella  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Did you try Moneygram? Mar 22, 2004

Hallo,
maybe you were only talking about credit card payments... But I recently worked for Australian clients (I live in Italy) who refused to send me money on my bank account, "because it's too expensive and it takes a lot of time...", so I accepted an Australian Check. Well,a colleague of mine told me it wasn't a good idea 1) it isn't safe to send a check in a letter 2) if they aren't honest, they have a whole month to stop it or to take it back!(it takes a month for me, to have it concretely on my bank account)
Does anybody has experience and ev. confirm this point?.

I talked with other people and what I did unterstand is that the most secure payment method is Moneygram. Money arrives in 10 min., no matter how big distances are (if there is an office there the client lives, of course)and is paid in cash in Euro, immediately.

Does anybody have experience with Moneygram? The main point: how expensive would it be for the client? (only the payer pays..). I'm afraid it's too expensive and clients can refuse if I suggest it!

Sorry if I changed a little big the topic, I have myself no PayPal and, for the case I keep working with Australia, USA or Canada, I have to solve the problem...

smarinella

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Cheques get lost in the mail Mar 23, 2004

smarinella wrote:
...so I accepted an Australian Check. Well, a colleague of mine told me it wasn't a good idea [because] it isn't safe to send a check in a letter...

I used to prefer cheques but they do get lost in the mail. If you have a good accounting system whereby you can frequently check to see if a client has paid or if payment has been received, you can use the cheque-method.

Ask the client to inform you when a cheque was mailed and let them ask their local post-office how long it might take for the cheque to arrive. If the cheque fails to arrive, check with the client.

Have the cheque made out to you in person and to your bank account only (if your country's cheque system allows this). Make sure the client understands and agrees that if your bank refuses to cash the cheque, he has to pay by alternative means (such as postal order, money order, SWIFT or other means).

[Edited at 2004-03-23 09:42]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Moneygram = USA only Mar 23, 2004

smarinella wrote:
Did you try Moneygram?

http://www.emoneygram.com/

Only US residents can send money, but residents from over 155 countries can receive money. You can pay via credit card or via bank transfer, but if you pay via bank transfer you must provide your credit card details as a guarantee of funds.

There is a cost estimator on the web site. Transfers to ZA, for example, incur commisssion of 10-15% (excluding exchange rate commission).

The money is not transferred into an account. Instead the recipient has to pick up the money in person at a designated Moneygram agent. Example: A person living in Sutherland, ZA, would have to pick up his money at Rennies Foreign Exchange in Cape Town (a ten hour round-trip by car). In such cases a money order (sent via wire to the local post-office) or SWIFT transfer (sent to the local bank) may be better.

Sending via SWIFT is expensive if small amounts are at stake, but payment can be made directly into an account. Typical commission is 0.5%, but the minimum fee may be EUR 10.00 or more. The sender also pays a "message fee" of EUR 10.00 or thereabouts. The sender should contact his bank's forex desk. Tax clearance may be required.

[Edited at 2004-03-23 09:34]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alternative payment methods besides PayPal and Moneybookers

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs