Thread poster: Francesca moletta

Francesca moletta
Italy
Local time: 14:24
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 26, 2004

Hello dear colleagues,

Sorry to post a topic already discussed.
I read existing threads on discounts, but I didn't find a solution yet.
I have a very good customer (agency) who gives a lot of work, pays and is nice and professional.
The rate is good. He DIDN'T ask for a discount on volume, but I would like to propose a discount on monthly volumes. Jobs are quite repetitive, I know the subject and I don't have to refuse other jobs.
I read a lot of yous don't accept/agree volume discounts, but in my case it would be a kind of marketing strategy ("buy 2 get the 3rd free" kind of attitude).
So do you do any discount on monthly volumes?
Example:
from *** words to *** words = ***% discount

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
If they don't ask for, don't IMHO Mar 26, 2004

Hi,

mollyf wrote:
Jobs are quite repetitive, I know the subject and I don't have to refuse other jobs.

Strange, normally agencies come out with a nice Trados scheme for repetitions or ask for discounts by themselves.

........but in my case it would be a kind of marketing strategy ("buy 2 get the 3rd free" kind of attitude).

Which marketing? Do you think you'd get more jobs from this agency if you offer a discount? I see the door open for future troubles.

So do you do any discount on monthly volumes?

No. You can never plan in advance how many projects/work will come the next month. Secondly, even if you have regular clients through an agency, events in life might affect any sure income (just think about 9/11, natural disasters affecting business, present economical situation et similia... nothing is sure in life).

Example:
from *** words to *** words = ***% discount

I have different rates according to volume, field and deadline for *each* job done for any agency, but never calculated on monthly output, as I do not do translations or editing in one field only, plus texts might be very different from each other (some take more time to be finished, some less)

The fact that you don't refuse other jobs is a *present* situation. You'll never know.

Giuliana

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
discount on monthly volumes Mar 26, 2004

If your customer isn't pushing you for discounts, I would offer them on a job-by-job basis.

Marc

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Another angle Mar 29, 2004

Look at it this way: if you are a skilled translator, you may translate faster and more accurately. Should you lower your rates now? Of course not! A skilled carpenter or lawyer would raise them!

How long has it taken you to get there, how many years of studying and acquiring skills, investing in hardware and software? After all this, you would start discounting your skills?

If you are able to translate a high volume, accurately and fast, you are an asset to the agency! Good for you that you do not have to refuse other jobs (for now).

I think the agency would ask for a volume discount if they were charging the client less because of the volume. The same for an end client - if they expected it, they would have asked for it.

Anyway - it is not as if translating is easier if you have to translate more, it is just less hassle invoicing one job than 10 different jobs. (I do not really understand high volume discounts)

Good luck for you and may it last!
(as a free lancer, you never know - another reason not to start discounting)

Anjo

baroni  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
In italia si dice... Mar 29, 2004

prendi l'acqua intanto che corre...

Francesca

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Discount = marketing tool, not charity Mar 29, 2004

mollyf wrote:
The rate is good. He DIDN'T ask for a discount on volume, but I would like to propose a discount on monthly volumes.

No. A discount is a marketing tools. By offering a discount, you hope to increase your client base by offering something for nothing to prospective new clients. A discount should not be given as a reward for being such a nice client.

Unless you know or think you'll gain some sort of advantage by offering a discount, I'd say: don't. Your client remains your client because he is satisfied with your service. No need for a carrot here.

Francesca moletta
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Mar 29, 2004

Thank you all!
Definetely, I won't propose a discount. Not on monthly bases at least, but rather on single projects.

Have a nice (working) day

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:24
English to Russian
+ ...
if you like the client Mar 30, 2004

send him/them/her good roses

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:24
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
On the contrary... rise your price Mar 30, 2004

mollyf wrote:
I have a very good customer (agency) who gives a lot of work...

If they are giving you a lot of work, it means that they think they are *already* getting a good deal from you.

In fact, the fact that they are givig you "lots" of work might mean that your rates are too low.

Instead of being "nice" and give them a discount for being such good customers, you should think of raising your rates.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

discount on monthly volumes

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs