https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/19837-off%3A_work_weekends_for_no_money.html

Off topic: off: work weekends for no money
Thread poster: Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:03
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 29, 2004

I know it's been said many times, but hey, this is one I had not seen yet (proz job today) - this combination of skills and weekend work, total dedication, for ....

- HIGHLY technical job, complicated format.
Interested candidates must demonstrate strong experience in automobile industry.

- provide No. of words you can commit for a period of 30 days, including weekends.

INCLUDING WEEKENDS ???!!!

Your best rate. Rate over USD 0.04 is unli
... See more
I know it's been said many times, but hey, this is one I had not seen yet (proz job today) - this combination of skills and weekend work, total dedication, for ....

- HIGHLY technical job, complicated format.
Interested candidates must demonstrate strong experience in automobile industry.

- provide No. of words you can commit for a period of 30 days, including weekends.

INCLUDING WEEKENDS ???!!!

Your best rate. Rate over USD 0.04 is unlikely accepted.

USD 0.04 ??? !!!

I rest my case.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try quoting per character, just for the fun of it Mar 29, 2004

Anjo Sterringa wrote:
Your best rate. Rate over USD 0.04 is unlikely accepted.

Quote him USD 0.04 per character.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:03
English to German
+ ...
Car Dealer? Mar 29, 2004

Ever tried to sell your car to a second-hand car dealer?

If yes - do you still wonder?

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
It could be worse... Mar 29, 2004

Check out this one:
http://www.proz.com/job/52509

Posted: 2:30 p.m. UK time. Deadline: Same day, 5:30 p.m. UK time. 3400 words. Piece of cake!

But at least you'd have the weekend off...

MJ

Thierry Lafaye (X)
Thierry Lafaye (X)
English to French
+ ...
Seen worse :) Mar 29, 2004

Michele Johnson wrote:

Posted: 2:30 p.m. UK time. Deadline: Same day, 5:30 p.m. UK time. 3400 words. Piece of cake!

MJ

I won't check by lack to time but I actually have seen some time (last week or the one before I think) over 10,000 words to be back the same day for almost nothing too... When the people will ever learn?

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:03
Dutch to English
+ ...
The number of bidders is still up there Mar 29, 2004

7 people put a bid in. However, what worries me even more than the low amount for a technical/conmplicated translation is - the option that the client may have to adjust the rate due to the size of the project - I read from that, that the rate may be dropped even more as the project continues. Am I wrong with that?

On the positive side; I worked for them before and they are very prompt payers. I had no problems whatsoever and the treatment was very professional.

But, u
... See more
7 people put a bid in. However, what worries me even more than the low amount for a technical/conmplicated translation is - the option that the client may have to adjust the rate due to the size of the project - I read from that, that the rate may be dropped even more as the project continues. Am I wrong with that?

On the positive side; I worked for them before and they are very prompt payers. I had no problems whatsoever and the treatment was very professional.

But, unfortunately, I could not accept such a technical document with complicated image work for this price.

When the ad came up, I checked it out because I had worked for them before and it had been such a positive experience.

But in going through the requirements, seeing the price and especially because this seems quite a big undertaking that takes a long time, I decided not to apply.

Lucinda
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:03
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Re: Seen worse :) Mar 30, 2004

Few weeks ago I received a request for several pages translation, posted at 6 PM (judging both by full email headers and arrival time) and asking for delivery at 12 midday the same day. Time zone was the same as ours:)

Uldis

Michele Johnson wrote:
Posted: 2:30 p.m. UK time. Deadline: Same day, 5:30 p.m. UK time. 3400 words. Piece of cake! MJ

Kurt Hammond
Kurt Hammond  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:03
Japanese to English
Someone actually bid on this Apr 26, 2004

It seems someone actually bid and won this job. Must have been same word repeated 3400 times??

Michele Johnson wrote:

Check out this one:
http://www.proz.com/job/52509

But at least you'd have the weekend off...

MJ

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

off: work weekends for no money

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »