Mobile menu

New to translating... looking for some pointers...
Thread poster: ArekS
ArekS
English to Polish
+ ...
Apr 6, 2004

Just wondering, what is the course of action, for acceping translation jobs. Let's say I get in touch with the client through e-mail, and they send me the necessary files. Do I have to send them an invoice after? and if so, how do I make the invoice??

Also, first job I ever took was a small one around 800 words. It was a PDF file that I had to translate to word. They were happe with it, even asked me how I was able to transfer the images, and I gladly told them. They haven't replied since though. Now all I have is an email of theirs. Maybe I should have asked what their company name is? and their physical address first? What other steps should I have taken to prevent something like that from happenning again?

I still have their file, it was legal documents for a patent translation. So there is alot of info in that. Maybe I could track them somehow through that?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:33
English to German
+ ...
Check these forums Apr 6, 2004

Hi Arek,
Welcome to ProZ.com!
What I would suggest on a general note is to go through the relevant forums here: besides Money Matters, you should find a vault of information in Getting Established, Being Independent and Business Issues.

Regarding your specific issues:
Just wondering, what is the course of action, for acceping translation jobs. Let's say I get in touch with the client through e-mail, and they send me the necessary files. Do I have to send them an invoice after?

Definitely yes, as your client will need to account for the payment.

and if so, how do I make the invoice??

Search the forums for "invoice", and check with your tax adviser (or local tax office) what the required elements are in your jurisdiction.

Also, first job I ever took was a small one around 800 words. It was a PDF file that I had to translate to word. They were happe with it, even asked me how I was able to transfer the images, and I gladly told them. They haven't replied since though. Now all I have is an email of theirs. Maybe I should have asked what their company name is? and their physical address first?

You should get a purchase order ("PO") containing the outsourcer's contact details, job details and payment terms.

What other steps should I have taken to prevent something like that from happenning again?

Maybe they're simply waiting for your invoice...? Have you called them?

I still have their file, it was legal documents for a patent translation. So there is alot of info in that. Maybe I could track them somehow through that?

Sure, why not?

HTH, Ralf

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:33
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The e-mail signature Apr 7, 2004

usually contains company/individual's business name, address and phone number. I have not come across any request for a translation that didn't have these elements. (And if I did, I'd ask).

Ideally, you should have a PO, but there are companies that forget that, so just remind them. But yes, a form of invoicing is expected. In my area, all we need to invoice is business name, address and client's tax code.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to translating... looking for some pointers...

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs