Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 3, 2002

http://www.proz.com/job?id=20307

Direct link Reply with quote

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 23:29
German to English
+ ...
Ignore and move on Apr 3, 2002

I have seen it, and it is an insult.

But I also think that we should stop attracting attention to such lousy outsourcers; they don\'t deserve it.

Let them do whatever they want: in the long run, it is them who will have to pay the price (as well as their \"stupid\" clients and subcontractors that are willing to work for this kind of money). They are all hurting themselves. No skin off my nose!

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree, but... Apr 3, 2002

couldn\'t it be contagious?

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:29
Italian to English
+ ...
You know... Apr 3, 2002

Not too long ago I responded to a posting for a highly technical translation. I asked for 0.08 USD per word. You know what I got back in my email? ...

\"In my 35 years in the translation business I have never seen such high rates\".

I\'m not sure what to laugh at most... the fact that he\'s been able to remain in business for 35 years (based in Hawaii, no less), or that eight cents is astronomical to him.

In any case, about all one can do is laugh and move on.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2002-04-03 19:45, Bertha wrote:

couldn\'t it be contagious?

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:29
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't think it can be ignored. Apr 6, 2002

At least not ethically. A few days ago Pepelú called attention to \"dumping\" (see Spanish Postings), but it\'s more than that. The real insult lies in the fact that somewhere out there, a vulture is preying on a colleague and that the rest of us can do nothing about it but say \"it\'s his lookout\". Is that moral? (I don\'t want this to be just a rhetorical question, or to go down the gullet of \"the world economic situation\".)

Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:29
English to Spanish
We can't ignore this... let's think of ways to fight it Apr 6, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-06 13:36, Parrot wrote:

At least not ethically. (...) The real insult lies in the fact that somewhere out there, a vulture is preying on a colleague and that the rest of us can do nothing about it but say \"it\'s his lookout\". Is that moral?

Hi, Ceci.

Of course it\'s not moral... but what are we to do? The last time I ran into this in real life I argued bitterly over the issue with a good friend (lost the argument and probably the friend, since all I got back was a combination of \"the world economic situation\", as you put it, and \"this is my life and this is what I need to do right now\"). Not much room for my input there.

I welcome any ideas on what to do, besides bringing the issue (not the individual people, please, we\'ve had our share of gossip in these forums) out in the open.

Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

INSULTING POSTING

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Websites for Translators
Build your new website, create a set of compelling graphics or find a new branding path with us.

We help both freelance translators and established translation agencies by applying online marketing strategies in the competitive world of languages. Click below to find out more!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs