Thread poster: EMERZE
EMERZE
EMERZE
Local time: 05:31
Bengali to English
+ ...
Apr 22, 2004

Hello,

How does a translator located in India accept payment thru PayPal?

Thanks,
Evangeline

Luciano Monteiro
Luciano Monteiro  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Paypal in India Apr 22, 2004

Hello

India is one of the 38 countries where Paypal is available, but users with Indian accounts cannot withdraw any money unless they have a bank account in the United States. In short, it does not look like a good idea. You can get more information at the Paypal website.

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Avoid Paypal if you are in India Apr 22, 2004

I would like to reproduce what I wrote about paypal in another thread:
And what is worse, Paypal does not seem to care. It seems some settings are made in the beginning. If things go fine, well and good. Otherwise God help you! Because nobody from Paypal is going to help you, if one goes by the numerous postings in the ProZ.com fora.
In countries like India, you can open a paypal account but you will not be able to transfer your money to your Indian bank account.
There seems
... See more
I would like to reproduce what I wrote about paypal in another thread:
And what is worse, Paypal does not seem to care. It seems some settings are made in the beginning. If things go fine, well and good. Otherwise God help you! Because nobody from Paypal is going to help you, if one goes by the numerous postings in the ProZ.com fora.
In countries like India, you can open a paypal account but you will not be able to transfer your money to your Indian bank account.
There seems to be three possibilities.
A) Countries where the paypal account cannot be opened
B) Countries like India as explained above C) Countries, where the account opening as well as the transfer to the local account are possible.

Problem seems to be mainly for the B-countries. I had mentioned elsewhere that Paypal had no business to come into B-countries. But till date I have not seen a single official reply from Paypal people anywhere. If some such reply is there, I am anxious to see the same.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:01
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
And moneybookers? Apr 22, 2004

I just started using moneybookers recently and the jury is still out. Is it easy to withdraw money into your bank account from moneybookers?

Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:01
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Moneybookers Apr 22, 2004

I find Moneybookers to be terribly inconvenient from the States. There are only two ways for me to upload money to my account there (in order to make payments) -- with a credit card or via wire transfer. Moneybookers will only allow you to take 100 euros off your credit card every 60 days, so that's obviously limiting. And since wire transfers are so expensive here, I don't want to do them, either.

I'll stick with PayPal.

Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Pay to yourself Apr 23, 2004

I use Paypal but it is easier for me because I have a bank account in USA which is linked to my Paypal account. Even without a US account you can receive payment. The way out is to go on accumulating the payments in your Paypal account and when there is enough money out there, 'pay' to yourself to your India account. You will have to incur some transfer charges. Check at paypal website.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:01
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Moneybookers Apr 23, 2004

Sandra,

So far I have found Moneybookers to be very convenient. My Spanish bank's online banking page allows me to make the transfer to Moneybookers (apparently in any amount) for a fee of 1 euro. Both of my U.S. banks' online web pages do not let me do this. So, you might make a trip down to your bank and ask them to do it personally rather than using your credit card if you are in the U.S.

A drawback of the bank transfer method is that it takes 5 days (for me at le
... See more
Sandra,

So far I have found Moneybookers to be very convenient. My Spanish bank's online banking page allows me to make the transfer to Moneybookers (apparently in any amount) for a fee of 1 euro. Both of my U.S. banks' online web pages do not let me do this. So, you might make a trip down to your bank and ask them to do it personally rather than using your credit card if you are in the U.S.

A drawback of the bank transfer method is that it takes 5 days (for me at least) for it to show up in your Moneybookers account.

Edward
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to accept payment thru Paypal in India

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »