Thread poster: MurielP (X)
MurielP (X)
MurielP (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:03
French to English
+ ...
Apr 27, 2004

Hello,

This question may have been asked before, but I cannot find any in the fora.

I have just been asked to send my rates in GBP/page. I usually quote per 1000 words. Is there a words/page standard accepted in the profession. I have looked at a few of my documents and it can vary from 400 to 750...

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 19:03
German to Romanian
+ ...
I think EU standard is about 250-300 Apr 27, 2004

if I remember well from other discussions

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 20:03
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
It varies Apr 27, 2004

in my experience from about 220 words to about 280, but that again depends on character count how many characters you reckon to be a page. We count 1800 with spaces and page as 250 words.

But I suggest always to insist on word count,
at least, we always do. Otherwise it causes accountancy problems, with all these various measurement units- I mean, say line can be anything from 50 to 60 characters and this variation percentage DOES make a difference.

Uldis

MurielP (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What if the page has 700 words Apr 27, 2004

I have just finished a translation of a document with pages having 700+ words... so if I offer xxx per page, with a page standard of, say, 250 words, would I count a page having more words as several pages??

Sorry this may sound ignorant, but I need to get this offer right and feel confused on how to do it.

Thanks

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Conditional offer Apr 27, 2004

State in your offer that you will only apply this rate for 'standard' pages of xxx (say max. 300 words). If there is a difference of more than xx words or xx % through the document, you will charge the additional words separately at xx per word.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 20:03
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Therefore count and agree on price per word Apr 27, 2004

We had one instance, when Client's "page" turned out to be 15 pages, or about 3700 words (text on reverse side of an insurance police)

Thre client was, let's put it mildly, "a little supprised" upon receiving the invoice...

Uldis

Muriel Pratt wrote:

I have just finished a translation of a document with pages having 700+ words...
Thanks

[Edited at 2004-04-27 11:38]

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Quote per standard page Apr 27, 2004

Even when quoting per page, you should always get down to number of words or characters, because a client's page can be anything.

For example, most of the Czech agencies use so called standard page, which is 1800 characters including spaces of the target text.

I suggest you quote per standard page, defined as 250 source words. You could also ask what they mean by page. If it's an agency, they should know. If it's a direct client, then maybe they don't understand the sys
... See more
Even when quoting per page, you should always get down to number of words or characters, because a client's page can be anything.

For example, most of the Czech agencies use so called standard page, which is 1800 characters including spaces of the target text.

I suggest you quote per standard page, defined as 250 source words. You could also ask what they mean by page. If it's an agency, they should know. If it's a direct client, then maybe they don't understand the system and you should educate them.
Collapse

MurielP (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I shall contact the client Apr 27, 2004

This is a quote for a direct client, so I shall clear all this with them. But thanks to all of you, this has helped me understand how to go about it.

I was thinking of 400/500 words a page, which makes a lot of difference!!

Again thank you.

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Standard in Chile Apr 27, 2004

Hi Muriel:

Most countries are quoting on a per word basis (much simpler), but here in Chile the standard is per page of 250 words.
Regards,
Ricardo

MurielP (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 27, 2004

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre wrote:

Hi Muriel:

Most countries are quoting on a per word basis (much simpler), but here in Chile the standard is per page of 250 words.
Regards,
Ricardo

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Agree Apr 27, 2004

Hynek Palatin wrote:

A page is 1800 characters + spaces, the "physical" page doesn't matter.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many words per page

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »