outsourcers using ProZ.com to get lower rates
Thread poster: Bertha S. Deffenbaugh

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 7, 2002

Sorry, guys for being repetitive. I know we have talked about this before. I know you will tell me now to worry, not to bid if I am not interested and to move on.

But I AM a proz. member and , as such, these things do bother me. I can\'t help it.

Can we deny that outsourcers are using proz. to get the lowest rates possible?

http://www.proz.com/job?id=20474

English>French

English>Spanish

English>German

English>Italian

This is a volume job (total 68,750 words) in 3 parts: 1 video script, 2 training manuals, all in MS Word. The subject matter is not technical-it\\\'s written for laymen. The video script (18,566 words) must be done first-quickly (4-5 days), and the manuals must be done by April 20th (16,616 words and 33,568 words). The maximum we can pay on this job is as follows:

Spanish: $2,525.00

French: $3,260.00

Italian: $3,260.00

German: $4,430.00

Please do not submit bids above this amount. This is a big job, but it is not difficult and will be paid promptly. If you can do better on the price, please indicate this, but the quality must be there. I look forward to hearing from you

And notice that these are the MAXIMUM rates they can pay. They are expecting to get bids for less!

Direct link Reply with quote

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 04:34
German to English
+ ...
The price is not the only problem Apr 7, 2002

The volume, I find, is the bigger problem here. They expect miracles that just can\'t happen. This kind of volume cannot be completed (in a proper and professional manner) within this timeframe. RIDICULOUS!!!

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That would be 5.288 words a day... Apr 7, 2002

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:34
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
91 have bid (or...?) Apr 7, 2002

I was about to say, write them to tell them to just try TYPING that number of words in a day (let alone translating it). I wonder who dared. This NEVER ceases to amaze me.

Karin Walker  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:34
German to English
+ ...
It's futile Apr 10, 2002

I fully agree with all of you, but a) no one is forcing you to reply to these offers, and b) those people who are willing to work for such ridiculous amounts (or non-amounts, as I might start calling them) are not active on the forums. At least that\'s my assumption. No one who is in any way critical and conscientious (as most forumites are) would ever consider wasting their time on jobs like that.

I know it\'s a repetitive discussion, and until a lower barrier is placed on rates, this will continue ad infinitum. So why get our respective blood pressures up? You\'re doing the right thing in not responding and that\'s what counts.

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So, Karin... Apr 10, 2002

... you think that not bidding is ALL we can do?

German to English
+ ...
In a word, yes Apr 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-10 15:15, Bertha wrote:

... you think that not bidding is ALL we can do?

Yes! It is a freely accessible site, and anyone can post a job (Henry made that decision a long time ago). The only time a job posting gets removed by ProZ staff is when it is found that it was posted under less-than-serious circumstances (remember that stupid \"Hi, how are you?\" posting across several language pairs?).

The \"forumites\" (kudos, Karin ) have already done their share: we have raised the issue, and colleagues\' awareness, many times. For now, that\'s all we can do.

The only \"solution\" I can think of is to fully regulate our profession in every country of the world, setting strict criteria for entry into our profession, setting firm rates, etc. But we all know that this will never happen !

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, Werner,but... Apr 10, 2002

...if I remember correctly, something had been said about the possibility of making comments on those postings, remember?

And nothing has happened so far...

German to English
+ ...
What type of comments? Apr 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-10 15:40, Bertha wrote:

...if I remember correctly, something had been said about the possibility of making comments on those postings, remember?

And nothing has happened so far...

Sorry, but you got me there. What comments are you talking about?

We can comment now: in the forums or by posting a \"bid\" to insulting outsourcers.

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, Apr 10, 2002

I will have to take the time to look for that thread. I remember something had been said on the possibility of making comments that could be viewed by the outsourcer, a special window, I think it was.

I am not talking about forum or bids. But, as I said, I would have to look for that thread and I don\'t think I will get thaaaaat much time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

outsourcers using ProZ.com to get lower rates

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs