Transators in Mexico and Peru - How to receive payments
Thread poster: Lorenia Rincon

Lorenia Rincon  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:54
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 19, 2004

I sometimes face the same problem as many of you, I live in Mexico and it is $$$expensive $$$ to receive wire transfers, I found that paypal works here, but, does anyone have more suggestions? also, how about for translators in Peru? I have a collegue I work with and it is always costly to pay her when I send her work since there is no paypal in Peru... any ideas??

Direct link Reply with quote
Atenea Acevedo  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
paypal OK May 20, 2004

Hi, Lorenia,

As I've mentioned in other threads on this issue, paypal has so far worked fine for me. I've used it for over two years and have never had a problem. The fees are not that bad and depend on the type of member you are, withdrawals into your Mexican bank account cost peanuts and overall it's worth it.

Please contact me privately should you want to discuss more details.

Ramón Esquivel  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Peruvian translator May 21, 2004

Hi Lorenia,

Your Peruvian translator can get paid through:

Wire transfers (local banks charge about 18 USD, regardless of the amount transferred, and of course, you already know about the fee for the sender)

Western Union, Money Gram and alike (Money Gram seems to be quite less expensive)

International Postal Money Orders (cheap for both the sender and receiver. The local post office charges 2%. Each order can be up to 700 USD, if I'm not wrong)

I've been told that Moneybookers work here, but never tried it.

Usually, checks are a big no-no. They're very expensive to cash, and take ages (meaning a couple of months) to clear them, although there are some businesses (exchange currency related) that cash them.

In my case, and since most of my clients are US-based, I decided to open a bank account in the States. It's the cheapest approach, and I think that it can be done even from Lima.

If you need more info, please feel free to email me directly.

Stefan Kopp
Local time: 23:54
English to German
US account Jun 17, 2004

Hi Ramon,

May be I have missed the information in other threads, but I am quite surprised about your comment that you could even open a US account from Lima. So far I was sure that if you can open a US account at all (as a dirty foreigner, as they might consider us), you have to do it in the US. So is there a way of opening a US account via the Internet? I definitely doubt that. Or can you open a US account at a local branch of a US bank? I also doubt that. Do you have any specific information about it?

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:54
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
It is possible Jun 17, 2004

Hi Stefan

in many Latin American countries it is possible. Either you open an account in US$ at your local bank, and you can deposit US checks (I have no charge for that), or you open an account in the US bank that works with your national bank. In this case you can make checks yourself, but having the account costs some fees.
Usually, first of all, your national bank must trust you and when we're foreigners in many Latin American countries this is the most difficult part.
Of course, things can be different, depending on the country and its national laws. I've had US$ accounts when living in Venezuela and in Chile.

[Edited at 2004-06-18 01:23]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transators in Mexico and Peru - How to receive payments

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs