Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:59
English to German
+ ...
Apr 10, 2002

Dear All,

today, a \"wonderful\" job offer was published at ProZ (http://www.proz.com/job?id=20619).

The outsourcer provides a fee per page which is a common approach in the Czech Republic. However, the fee is at such a level I didn\'t experience the entire time I\'m a member of ProZ. The amount is 130 Czech Crowns per page. Just for your information: 4,3 Euro
... See more
Dear All,

today, a \"wonderful\" job offer was published at ProZ (http://www.proz.com/job?id=20619).

The outsourcer provides a fee per page which is a common approach in the Czech Republic. However, the fee is at such a level I didn\'t experience the entire time I\'m a member of ProZ. The amount is 130 Czech Crowns per page. Just for your information: 4,3 Euro for one page!

Not to mention the tight deadline - but this is an issue translators are used to, if they are getting paid for rush jobs. But this...

Is there any tool to prevent such dishonorable requests? I\'m looking forward to your comments.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't know, but it's certainly giving this site a bad image. Apr 14, 2002

You want to dump? Go to proZ. As a member who believes in the idea and ideals of proZ, it hurts me.

Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Similiarities Apr 14, 2002

Dear Cecilia,

the same was true for other colleagues in the English-German section earlier this day.

Somehow I concluded there simply have to be people out there who adhere to suche ridiculous prices. Well, let them go. Today, I saw this Czech-German job pair closed. Obviously, there was some fool who couldn\'t but accept this job.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
It makes no sense unless you're not declaring taxes Apr 15, 2002

and are hawking on the sidewalk with one eye peeled for the police. And that\'s not just unprofessional, need I say, it\'s an offense. We\'re skirting the issue in the name of the so-called free market (to which we should not be subject) and whatever laws there are in some countries against \"price-fixing\", but we\'re stepping on the very legal toes of public order itself. And we say we\'re afraid of some kind of prosecution?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-15 12:2
... See more
and are hawking on the sidewalk with one eye peeled for the police. And that\'s not just unprofessional, need I say, it\'s an offense. We\'re skirting the issue in the name of the so-called free market (to which we should not be subject) and whatever laws there are in some countries against \"price-fixing\", but we\'re stepping on the very legal toes of public order itself. And we say we\'re afraid of some kind of prosecution?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-15 12:21 ]
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 05:59
German to English
+ ...
"price-fixing" Apr 15, 2002

I can\'t stand hearing this term anymore. It\'s been overused and applied to all the wrong circumstances and industries.

Professionals (doctors, lawyers, translators, etc.) should not be, and ARE NOT, subject to these restrictions. Medical assocations have set fees for years (and this is not regarded price-fixing!).

I know that ATA got into some trouble on that front several years ago, but it was completely wrong to accuse them of price-fixing. Any profe
... See more
I can\'t stand hearing this term anymore. It\'s been overused and applied to all the wrong circumstances and industries.

Professionals (doctors, lawyers, translators, etc.) should not be, and ARE NOT, subject to these restrictions. Medical assocations have set fees for years (and this is not regarded price-fixing!).

I know that ATA got into some trouble on that front several years ago, but it was completely wrong to accuse them of price-fixing. Any professional association (medical associations, bar associations, etc.) has the right to issue guidelines or recommendations on the fees charged by their members. The same would apply to ProZ: if they want to set a minimum rate for bids, that\'s fine; it would not be against the law.
Collapse

Michael Ellis
Michael Ellis
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Time to go Apr 22, 2002

I entirely agree with you Carsten, here in Brazil the price has also dropped out of the market. However, I will not drop prices, we have to set a standard and most clients should know that if you want something good you have to pay for it. I am also delaying my renewal of membership to Proz at the moment, I need some time to reflect and think about things and work out the benefits of it all.

Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL
Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:59
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My feelings exactly Apr 23, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-22 17:40, mikeel wrote:

... I am also delaying my renewal of membership to Proz at the moment, I need some time to reflect and think about things and work out the benefits of it all.

Hello,

I\'m also in Brazil and I have to say I agree with you. I\'ve been enjoying ProZ, mostly the forums. Work? Still none from ProZ. ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-04-22 17:40, mikeel wrote:

... I am also delaying my renewal of membership to Proz at the moment, I need some time to reflect and think about things and work out the benefits of it all.

Hello,

I\'m also in Brazil and I have to say I agree with you. I\'ve been enjoying ProZ, mostly the forums. Work? Still none from ProZ. Some offers are too ridiculous and I think the site should not accept them. Is this a site for PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATORS or not? Also, I think non-members should not be allowed to participate in some offers. So far, I\'ve failed to see the advantage of being a member, but I still have some months ahead of me. So far, all I have seen is clear abuse of undercutters, probably offering to complete jobs under a ridiculous fee, not having enough knowledge to do so, and then sending basic questions to ProZ - do they have dictionaries and other resources? Do they know how to use them? Do they know the languages they are working from and into? Sometimes I have serious doubts.

Adriana ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ridiculous Job Offer

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »