Tax-deductible travel expenses?
Thread poster: NGK
NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:47
Apr 10, 2002

I\'m a self-employed German translator living (and paying taxes) in the U.S.

Does anyone know whether I can (partially?) deduct travel expenses to Germany if they don\'t relate to a specific assignment -- as a sort of keep-the-language-fresh educational expense?

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:47
German to English
+ ...
Yes, according to my accountant Apr 14, 2002

Hi Norbert!

My accountant told me that I could deduct trips like this. Certainly you could also deduct any books/magazines, etc. you buy there. According to him, anything keeping you in touch with the language/profession (within reason) would count. He does taxes for other translators and freelancers in Chicago as well, so is familiar with the issues.

There were a couple of other deductions that he told me about that I did not realize I could take, for
... See more
Hi Norbert!

My accountant told me that I could deduct trips like this. Certainly you could also deduct any books/magazines, etc. you buy there. According to him, anything keeping you in touch with the language/profession (within reason) would count. He does taxes for other translators and freelancers in Chicago as well, so is familiar with the issues.

There were a couple of other deductions that he told me about that I did not realize I could take, for instance, the bank fees/wire transfer fees on my business account.

HTH

Daina

PS The expense of having your taxes done is a deduction for the following year!
Collapse

k-schwendtner
k-schwendtner
United States
German to English
travel expenses May 21, 2010

I am also a German - English translator that is based in the U.S. I am currently in Austria for sevearl month to find more direct clients and of course to get in touch with the language. I temporarily rented an apartment in Vienna, and am wondering if what of my expenses I can deduct.

Rent of the place?
Supermarket bills?
Cabs/Taxis?
Trains?
Restaurant bills?
Mobile internet?
Temporary cell phone?
Travel insurance?

I am a
... See more
I am also a German - English translator that is based in the U.S. I am currently in Austria for sevearl month to find more direct clients and of course to get in touch with the language. I temporarily rented an apartment in Vienna, and am wondering if what of my expenses I can deduct.

Rent of the place?
Supermarket bills?
Cabs/Taxis?
Trains?
Restaurant bills?
Mobile internet?
Temporary cell phone?
Travel insurance?

I am also wondering on how to calculate the exchange rate?

I am desperately looking for a tax accountant who works with translators. In my area (Aspen, Colorado) there are none. Any recommendations for accountants, one can work with online?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tax-deductible travel expenses?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »