https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/21860-average_price_for_a_transcription.html

Average price for a transcription
Thread poster: cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
English to French
+ ...
Jun 9, 2004

Hello all!
I have received an offer for a transcription. I was wondering about the price per minute or per hour. The company offers me 13 Cdn dollars an hours. I find it quite low, but considering I've never done it before, I am not sure if it is a regular tarif or not.
Can someone tell me?
Thanks a lot!

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 06:55
English to German
+ ...
Do you mean 13 Canadian or US dollars per Hour Jun 9, 2004

cendrine marrouat wrote:

Hello all!
I have received an offer for a transcription. I was wondering about the price per minute or per hour. The company offers me 13 Cdn dollars an hours. I find it quite low, but considering I've never done it before, I am not sure if it is a regular tarif or not.
Can someone tell me?
Thanks a lot!
Do you mean 13 Canadian or US dollars per Hour?? brandis

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:55
French to English
Doesn't even matter Jun 9, 2004

The company offers me 13 Cdn dollars an hours.

It really would not matter to me. At that rate, I would take the day off and work in my garden! You may as well flip burgers or clean toilets at that rate!

Take care,
Karin

cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Average price for a transcription Jun 9, 2004

The person said 13 US dollars an hour.

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:55
Italian to English
+ ...
atrocious Jun 9, 2004

That's about GBP 5.00 an hour, which is pretty rough! (Only just over the minimum wage.) Transcription is a pretty painstaking process, which is not as easy as some agencies seem to think it is!

Good luck!

[Edited at 2004-06-09 22:00]

[Edited at 2004-06-09 22:01]

[Edited at 2004-06-09 22:03]

Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:55
Spanish to English
Not rock bottom, but very low Jun 10, 2004

I have done work for many agencies where I have been asked to charge per hour, and the rate usually varies between $25.00 - $30.00 Cdn.

Based on current exchange rates, your US$ 13.00 would be about $17.00/hour in Canadian dollars.

Tell them that the standard hourly wage for interpreters/translators is $25.00 Cdn (or its equivalent in US$).

Best of luck!

Russell

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
It's not in your park Jun 10, 2004

Transcription is one thing, translation is quite another. Transcriptionists may work for the kind of money you mention, and many do. It is below your skill level. If it is a job that involves both transcription and translation, it is best to use a transcriptionist to do that part and then you do the translation.

On the other hand, if transcriptionists in the language involved are unavailable, then charge them your regular rate, you've got them by the neck. Otherwise forget it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Average price for a transcription

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »