Thread poster: Marian Popa (X)
Marian Popa (X)
Marian Popa (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:58
Romanian to English
+ ...
Mar 9, 2012

I received an offer to work, potentially long term (unsubstantiated) for an outsourcer who wants to pay me USD 0.008 per source-word. yes, this is LESS THAN ONE US CENT per source-word. Would you agree to this job?
Thank you

Joel Pina Diaz
Joel Pina Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Value one, value two... No value... Mar 9, 2012

Do not eat caviar for the next month and avoid your standard 20 years whiskey... But DO NOT accept this.

Cheng Peng
Cheng Peng  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
No and Never Mar 9, 2012

That's insulting...

But if the outsourcer doesn't care about the quality, no problem, just take it. Just copy the source text to the mighty mighty google translate, then paste what google generates. Easy job, easy money... :]

Marian Popa (X)
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 9, 2012

Joel Pina Diaz wrote:

Do not eat caviar for the next month and avoid your standard 20 years whiskey... But DO NOT accept this.

Mmmm... Single malt....
Yes, thank you for your input, I thought so.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:58
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Are you sure that this isn't a typo Mar 9, 2012

...or a prank? Because no real outsourcer, ridiculous rates or not, would ever invest time to do this precise math. Maybe they are googling the www right now to check if anyone fell for this prank and who is wasting precious time on discussing this issue in public.

?

Marian Popa (X)
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a prank Mar 9, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

...or a prank? Because no real outsourcer, ridiculous rates or not, would ever invest time to do this precise math. Maybe they are googling the www right now to check if anyone fell for this prank and who is wasting precious time on discussing this issue in public.

?

I have been offered the equivalent of 2 Euro per page of 300 source-words.... You do the math

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
USD 0.008 has been offered to you for repetitions, right? Mar 9, 2012

Marian Popa wrote:

I received an offer to work, potentially long term (unsubstantiated) for an outsourcer who wants to pay me USD 0.008 per source-word. yes, this is LESS THAN ONE US CENT per source-word. Would you agree to this job?
Thank you

Hi Marian,

I looked at your profile and discovered that you have a bachelor's degree and 15 years of experience. I'm astonished that you have only been offered USD 0.008 per source word. Therefore, I assume that this has been offered to you for repetitions, right?

Kind regards,

Marina

Lau Wei Tsinn
Lau Wei Tsinn  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 00:58
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...
It could be just a typo Mar 9, 2012

We are all humans and maybe the client was tired and put in an extra zero. Clarify with him/her first before blowing your top. That said, if that is really the rate, it's ridiculous... you can go ahead and blow your top. Well, just kidding, but they should be made to know it is a totally unacceptable rate.

Marian Popa (X)
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not for repetitions Mar 9, 2012

Marina Steinbach wrote:

Marian Popa wrote:

Thank you

Hi Marian,

I looked at your profile and discovered that you have a bachelor's degree and 15 years of experience. I'm astonished that you have only been offered USD 0.008 per source word. Therefore, I assume that this has been offered to you for repetitions, right?

Kind regards,

Marina

For repetitions they want to reduce it by 30%, and again i am NOT kidding. I thought i am going crazy and maybe the market dropped and I was not aware of it.... I did not post this as a prank either, but if you guys are amused, then at least i made you smile. Thank you all for your input.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
No offense! Mar 9, 2012

Marian Popa wrote:

For repetitions they want to reduce it by 30%, and again i am NOT kidding. I thought i am going crazy and maybe the market dropped and I was not aware of it.... I did not post this as a prank either, but if you guys are amused, then at least i made you smile. Thank you all for your input.

Well, 30 % is what the agencies normally offer me for repetitions. That is why I mentioned it.

No offense!

Marina

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:58
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Absurd Mar 9, 2012

It astonishes me that you even entertain the idea! Or were you just trying to astonish us in turn?

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
:D Mar 9, 2012

Marian Popa wrote:

Thank you

Unless this was a typo, anybody who works for less than USD 0.01... deserve such "generous" payment.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:58
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
:D :D :D Mar 9, 2012

Thayenga wrote:

Unless this was a typo, anybody who works for less than USD 0.01... deserve such "generous" payment.

...and should not be called a professional translator anyway.

CHAKIB ROULA (X)
CHAKIB ROULA (X)
Algeria
Local time: 17:58
English to French
+ ...
Beggar or profesional ,you have to choose Mar 9, 2012

Look dear peer,
Whenever,I receive such miserable and poor rates per word this is what would be my gentle and courteous reply to them"Please be addvised that I am rather a professional translator than a beggar and if you wish volunteer translation,do not send me your rates".
Kind regards
Chakib.R

Rosa Grau (X)
Rosa Grau (X)
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
Of course not! Mar 9, 2012

Don't do it! This would damage not only you, but the whole translator's community.

[Edited at 2012-03-09 08:34 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would you work for this rate?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »