Charge extra rates for corrections?
Thread poster: SandraV
Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:13
German to English
+ ...
Unqualified and unprofessional corrections Jun 22, 2004

Mostly I don't charge for corrections, but it has happened more than once that a client kicked up a stink about one of my translations, only for me to find out that the so-called corrections were by a non-native and were either uncalled for or completely distorted the text, often even adding errors.

I do try and be as forthcoming as possible, but clients like this, in my opinion, deserve to be charged - why the hell should we professionals be forced to justify ourselves to someone
... See more
Mostly I don't charge for corrections, but it has happened more than once that a client kicked up a stink about one of my translations, only for me to find out that the so-called corrections were by a non-native and were either uncalled for or completely distorted the text, often even adding errors.

I do try and be as forthcoming as possible, but clients like this, in my opinion, deserve to be charged - why the hell should we professionals be forced to justify ourselves to someone who can't even speak our language and is unqualified to boot? (such changes are almost always implemented by non-natives who have absolutely no idea - they don't seem to realise that just because they don't know certain formulations doesn't mean that these formulations are correct and do actually exist). I remember one particular example, where I had to spend hours justifying my texts, which had been "corrected" by a non-native. I ended up not charging because this was for an agency, so it would have been a bit tricky as the agency wasn't charging the end customer (they considered it part of complaints policy). They questioned things like "a feather in one's cap" (which is a bog standard phrase in English) and also added their own grammatical errors. What really makes me angry in such cases is the arrogance of such people who immediately complain about the translation, saying that it is bad - the correct, tactful and professional way to go about this would be to ask the translator and make suggestions - This makes me much more inclined to cooperate because I deem respect vital for a business relationship. I respect my clients and expect them to respect me too - it's just a shame that the world is so full of so many rude ignoramuses.
Collapse

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
many angles to this question... Jun 22, 2004

Sarah Downing wrote:
What really makes me angry in such cases is the arrogance of such people who immediately complain about the translation, saying that it is bad - the correct, tactful and professional way to go about this would be to ask the translator and make suggestions - This makes me much more inclined to cooperate because I deem respect vital for a business relationship. I respect my clients and expect them to respect me too - it's just a shame that the world is so full of so many rude ignoramuses.

...and I agree 100% with this one too

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator EUTI
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:13
German to English
+ ...
Thanks Susana... Jun 22, 2004

I was slightly worried that my post might come across as a bit severe (but having encountered such arrogance time and time again, I am probably slightly embittered by all the time-wasting). However, it's going to know that I'm not alone on this:-)

Have a nice evening!

Sarah

[Edited at 2004-06-22 16:42]

Julia Graham (X)
Julia Graham (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:13
German to English
+ ...
Glossary changes Dec 17, 2012

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

The scenario is this:
You have been provided with a glossary and some background material (previously translated chapters in the same website/catalogue) supplied by the agency but compiled by the end client and you are requested to use these diligently when translating. You abide by this and your translation is correct but the end client changes the goalposts and makes a number of alterations to the glossary and background m
... See more
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

The scenario is this:
You have been provided with a glossary and some background material (previously translated chapters in the same website/catalogue) supplied by the agency but compiled by the end client and you are requested to use these diligently when translating. You abide by this and your translation is correct but the end client changes the goalposts and makes a number of alterations to the glossary and background material and requests via the agency that you make the relevant alterations to your translation.

Should you charge in this instance? And if so how much? It would be such a fiddly job to go through the document searching for all the changes and altering them. I feel like I have already provided them with the translation they requested according to their glossary requirements and they are now requesting a different one. Am I being unreasonable?

Thanks!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charge extra rates for corrections?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »