Thread poster: Cristina Moldovan do Amaral

Cristina Moldovan do Amaral  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:20
Member (2002)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Jun 19, 2004

What you charge per minute of tape to transcribe and translate in the USA?
TIA

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't even think about it Jun 19, 2004

Don't even think about giving anyone a quote on a per-minute of audio basis until you have had an opportunity to review the tapes involved and judge for yourself how much time it is going to take you. The quality of audio tapes varies tremendously, not only technically but in terms of what is going on in the recording.

Unless the quality is uniformly good, you will also need special equipment for transcription and yet a lot of it still falls short of what you would really like to have.

I'm not saying don't do it, but what I am saying is to protect yourself against unpleasant surprises. If you cannot determine the quality of the tapes in advance, then quote an hourly rate; you should know how much you should be earning. If the client will not accept this and you have no guarantee of a certain quality level, then walk away.

Another very good alternative is to have the material transcribed by professional transcribers. They often do an excellent job and their pay expectations are less than for translators. You can then work with their product, but you will still need to review it and compare it because you are responsible for the job. There you will have a "per word" basis to go by. However, if the tape is in a foreign language for which there are few or no transcribers available, then this option is not feasible.

Cristina Moldovan do Amaral  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:20
Member (2002)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I thought Jun 19, 2004

This is exactly what I thought. Unfortunately the tapes are in Romanian, and I would have to transcribe them myself. I made them a price per 1000 words of transcribed text. We'll see if they accept it.
Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

tape transcription & translation

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs