What is the small claims equivalent in Germany?
Thread poster: Jeannie Graham
Jeannie Graham
Jeannie Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:03
German to English
+ ...
Jun 30, 2004

Does anybody know how to make the equivalent of what in the UK we would take to a small claims court.

I have an invoice outstanding for only €527 - so it wouldn't justify legal costs. It has been outstanding since January and I have sent all the reminders by email and post!

If it were a UK company I would go via the small claims court, but all I can find for Germany are several agencies offering debt recovery, but their prices will not justify chasing it up.
<
... See more
Does anybody know how to make the equivalent of what in the UK we would take to a small claims court.

I have an invoice outstanding for only €527 - so it wouldn't justify legal costs. It has been outstanding since January and I have sent all the reminders by email and post!

If it were a UK company I would go via the small claims court, but all I can find for Germany are several agencies offering debt recovery, but their prices will not justify chasing it up.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Jeannie

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-06-30 17:53]
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:33
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Why don't you appeal to fellow Prozians stationed in the city where the outsourcer is placed? Jun 30, 2004

Nothing like a personal visit and that too by a colleague, who is sure to understand your anguish. You can always return the favor by helping your colleagues with outstanding payments to come from your city.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:03
English to German
+ ...
Zentrales Mahngericht Jun 30, 2004

Hi Jeannie,
Mats Wiman posted the relevant information in this thread.

HTH, Ralf

NetzConsult
NetzConsult  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:03
German to English
Online collection form Jun 30, 2004

Try the following:
http://www.letztemahnung.de/

it might put enough pressure on your customer.

markj
markj
German to English
+ ...
Mahnung-Online Jun 30, 2004

Have a look at www.mahnung-online.de as well. I haven't used the site myself but it's been around for a few years, which is a always a good sign.

Good luck!

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:03
German to English
+ ...
I've actually used mahnung-online.de - with success Jun 30, 2004

markj wrote:

Have a look at www.mahnung-online.de as well. I haven't used the site myself but it's been around for a few years, which is a always a good sign.

Good luck!

Although you may have to fork out the money to pay the legal costs of your claim, if your claim is successful and the customer pays up they are also obliged to pay back your legal fees. However, it's important to consider your chances of success before making a claim. In my case, my claim was taken to court and although the court decided in my favour, the customer still didn't pay up, so the bailiffs were sent round and extracted the money from him by pledging some of his property, but the point is if the customer has gone bankrupt or probably doesn't have any property to be pledged (also: there are certain things that aren't allowed to be pledged, e.g. radio, televisions up to a certain value - right to information)to pay for your claim, there's a slim likelihood that you'll get your money and you'll also be left sitting on the legal costs.

Good luck and all the best,

Sarah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the small claims equivalent in Germany?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »