Mobile menu

Concrete suggestions for word rate or line rate for technical translations in Germany (agency)
Thread poster: Greg Twiss

Greg Twiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:37
German to English
+ ...
Jul 6, 2004

I have taken a year off and am now back at translating. Somehow the prices seem to have panned out drastically! What is a realistic going rate per line or word for technical translations when working for an agency? The source language is German and the target language is English. Technical means most branches of technology here - engineering, electrical, radar, automotive, PLC etc. Please offer concrete suggestions!

Direct link Reply with quote

Krokodil
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Going rates Aug 10, 2004

Greg Twiss wrote:

I have taken a year off and am now back at translating. Somehow the prices seem to have panned out drastically! What is a realistic going rate per line or word for technical translations when working for an agency? The source language is German and the target language is English. Technical means most branches of technology here - engineering, electrical, radar, automotive, PLC etc. Please offer concrete suggestions!

It seems to be quite a long time since this thread was opened, and I just hit upon it by chance. Funny that nobody has replied so far!

I\'m a salaried translator and don\'t do much work for agencies, but I don\'t think I\'m far wrong when I say that the going rate for technical translations (German/English) is around 0.70 - 0.75 euro per line of approx. 55 characters. At least, I\'ve quoted these rates to agencies when they\'ve asked me what I charge and they seemed perfectly happy.

For urgent or particularly difficult stuff I\'d probably charge (or attempt to charge) up to 1.00 euro a line.

Best regards,
Robin

Marc Rizkallah  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Same question May 9, 2015

11 years later.

Paweł Hamerski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
same answer - 11 years May 9, 2015

later

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Concrete suggestions for word rate or line rate for technical translations in Germany (agency)

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs