Mobile menu

Pricing for team effort (225k words project - Help files, UI items)
Thread poster: Csaba Ban

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 02:38
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jul 7, 2004

Dear colleagues,
I am requested to quote for a large localization project (225,000 words of Help files and UI items, e-business application).

I am also asked if I can work together with a team of translators (I would act as a kind of project manager).

The services should include both translation and proofreading.

Now, my question is this: if my normal rate per source word is X cents, what is a reasonable mark-up above this (in percent) that covers the extra work involved and the extra services rendered?

Thank you for your insights.

Direct link Reply with quote

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Minimum: + 50% Jul 7, 2004

My optimistic estimate would be:

+30% edit/proof
+10% UI preparation
+10% coordination

This is for convenient circumstances (about 3 reliable colleagues, an understanding client, a concise content), it may turn out much worser particularly if it is your first project management.

In fact, any negligence (who's perfect?) in preparation, coordination or communication is likely to take you personally additionally three times more effort in the end then it would take ideally.

Good speed

[Edited at 2004-07-07 20:33]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
50-65% Jul 8, 2004

Agree with Harry:

Harry_B wrote:

My optimistic estimate would be:

+30% edit/proof
+10% UI preparation
+10% coordination

That's a reasonable approach, I think - around 50-55% should work if the quality delivered is up to speed. Failing that, you will need around 65, probably 75%.

HTH, Ralf

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for both of you Jul 8, 2004

Actually, this is roughly what I had in mind and I quoted accordingly. Then the client was shocked to see such high prices. Eventually we settled down on a compromise which is still higher than my usual rate - and, as it turned out, I will not have to do too much project management, so it appears to be a good proposition.
Now I only have to wait for client's client to win their bid and get the project approval)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing for team effort (225k words project - Help files, UI items)

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs