proofreading rates in the U.S.
Thread poster: Guillermo de la Puerta

Guillermo de la Puerta  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:36
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 8, 2004

Hello everybody,
can anybody inform me about proofreading rates in the U.S. for the pair English-Russian?

I have just received an offer and I would just like to know to get oriented.

They have offered me to review the text for 0,03$ per word.Is that normal?

Thanks in advance wildlp

P.S. I know it has been discussed but I would like to know an orientative word rate

P.S.2.Can anybody help me?

[Edited at 2004-07-08 15:46]

[Edited at 2004-07-09 16:07]

Direct link Reply with quote

Martina Silpoch  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:36
English to Czech
+ ...
well kept secret Jul 9, 2004

As you can see from no reply to your question, it is a well kept secret among translators. The rates depend on each individual translator, client, agency, deadline, country, type of text, format,size of the project, etc. etc. If you are paid by a US company, expect more. If paid by a Russian company, expect a lot less. If paid by a direct client, not an agency, price is different. Basically it is up to you to decide what you feel comfortable with, what makes sense to you, how much you value your time.
Nobody will probably ever give you a straight answer. If you received a job offer from an agency, let them tell you how much they are going to pay for it and either accept or decline.
Good luck:)

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Discovering the mistery about proofreading rates :-) Jul 9, 2004

Martina Silpoch wrote:

As you can see from no reply to your question, it is a well kept secret among translators.

Thanks Martina for your answer It's the only one!
I really don't see the reasons of this secrecy, especially when rate questions have been wide and openly discussed in each forum. I just don't know the U.S.market.When handling these questions with american agencies there are things I must know to offer a fair rate and to get oriented.
I was just asking about proofreading rates,to see from which rate to which rate goes the range, not asking about religious or sexual preferences:-) You can openly ask spanish colleagues about proofreading rates in the spanish market, and you will very soon realize that there is not such secrecy.
There must be a different reason...

The rates depend on each individual translator, client, agency, deadline, country, type of text, format,size of the project, etc. etc.

Yes but no.The market exists and is very concrete in each country.It varies and it is flexible but concrete. It indeed depends on the individual ,the conditions ,deadlines, agency, of course, but in each country and in each market there are more or less clear borders within which quoted rates vary. And for a very concrete pair I am sure rates vary within a concrete range.Of course everyone is free and can quote whatever he wants , but it is commonly accepted that if you bid much higher than the average (let's say for example: 0,14 per word in Spain)first , you are going to be rejected, and second they are going to think that you are nuts.

If you are paid by a US company, expect more. If paid by a Russian company, expect a lot less. If paid by a direct client, not an agency, price is different.
Basically it is up to you to decide what you feel comfortable with, what makes sense to you, how much you value your time.)

Well, there are things that don't need to be explained

Nobody will probably ever give you a straight answer. If you received a job offer from an agency, let them tell you how much they are going to pay for it and either accept or decline.
Good luck:)

In other occasions I have received lots of straight answers.
Thanks for your advice anyway

willdlp

[Edited at 2004-07-09 23:54]

[Edited at 2004-07-10 00:08]

vorloff
Bosnian to English
+ ...
Variable rates Jul 10, 2004

Since I am relatively new to freelancing, I prefer to let others answer these types of questions, but since you don't seem to be getting too many respenses, here goes:

I have heard .02 -.05 USD used as the general range, although proofreading is much more difficult to put a price on than straight translating, which may be why you haven't gotten too many responses to your question. First, different people have different ideas of what proofreading entails (from simply catching typos to re-writes, if necessary). Where does your client stand on this, and what does he or she expect? Second, what is the quality of the text? How much work does it need? This factor alone makes it almost impossible to quote a fair per word rate until reading the text. Because of this, I have heard that some people prefer to charge their regular hourly rate for proofreading. That way, you get paid for the time that you put in, although you would probably still have to give the client a rough estimate before being given the job.

My advice is to ask the client to send you the text, proofread one page of it while timing yourself, and then give them either an hourly or per word quote, mentioning that your per word proofreading rate is set on a case-by-case basis because the time involved varies so greatly, but that your hourly rate is fixed.

You can try to Google "proofreading rate" to try to find what others are charging, although more important factors than what others are charging are how busy you are, how much you feel your time is worth, how eager you are to work with a particular client, how much the client can afford to pay, will this proofreading lead to other jobs, etc.

Hope that helps a bit.

Vera

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot:-) Jul 11, 2004

Vera Orloff wrote:

Since I am relatively new to freelancing, I prefer to let others answer these types of questions, but since you don't seem to be getting too many respenses, here goes:

I have heard .02 -.05 USD used as the general range, although proofreading is much more difficult to put a price on than straight translating, which may be why you haven't gotten too many responses to your question. First, different people have different ideas of what proofreading entails (from simply catching typos to re-writes, if necessary). Where does your client stand on this, and what does he or she expect? Second, what is the quality of the text? How much work does it need? This factor alone makes it almost impossible to quote a fair per word rate until reading the text. Because of this, I have heard that some people prefer to charge their regular hourly rate for proofreading. That way, you get paid for the time that you put in, although you would probably still have to give the client a rough estimate before being given the job.

My advice is to ask the client to send you the text, proofread one page of it while timing yourself, and then give them either an hourly or per word quote, mentioning that your per word proofreading rate is set on a case-by-case basis because the time involved varies so greatly, but that your hourly rate is fixed.

You can try to Google "proofreading rate" to try to find what others are charging, although more important factors than what others are charging are how busy you are, how much you feel your time is worth, how eager you are to work with a particular client, how much the client can afford to pay, will this proofreading lead to other jobs, etc.

Hope that helps a bit.

Vera

Thank you very much Vera. That's exactly what I wanted to know: what are the limits of a fair rate for proofreading. The text I got was almost perfect. The agency insisted on a per word rate. Therefore I needed to know where are the limits of the rate range , to see if the offered rate is low , high , average etc. Otherwise I am blind.
Thanks again

Best Regards will

[Edited at 2004-07-11 16:40]

Nelson Agelvis
Local time: 16:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
The rate for proofreading Jul 11, 2004

[quote]willdlp wrote:

Hello everybody,
can anybody inform me about proofreading rates in the U.S. for the pair English-Russian?

I have just received an offer and I would just like to know to get oriented.

They have offered me to review the text for 0,03$ per word.Is that normal?
------------------
Saludos hermano,

I am in Caracas, Venezuela. I do translations and occasional proofreading for US companies (En-Sp). The $0,03 por word rate is, as you say, NORMAL in the field. It's not high, it's not low. I charge between 3 and 4. For less, I will courteously decline and allow others (and there ARE many) to do it for 2. So, there you go, espero que te sirva amigo, como una orientación.

Suerte!!

Nelson

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

proofreading rates in the U.S.

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs