https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/22716-agency_rates_in_west_and_east_germany_for_ger_eng_eng_ger_translations_levelling_off.html

Agency rates in West and East Germany for Ger-Eng / Eng-Ger translations - levelling off?
Thread poster: Robin Ward
Robin Ward
Robin Ward
Germany
Local time: 17:08
German to English
+ ...
Jul 8, 2004

I’d be interested to know whether there has been any levelling off over the years in the rates paid by West and East German agencies to translators of technical, commercial and legal texts (German-English and English-German).

I haven't really followed this in any detail, but I believe that directly after reunification rates in East Germany were pretty awful but that they have risen in the course of time to something like Western levels. Does anyone know - based on either personal
... See more
I’d be interested to know whether there has been any levelling off over the years in the rates paid by West and East German agencies to translators of technical, commercial and legal texts (German-English and English-German).

I haven't really followed this in any detail, but I believe that directly after reunification rates in East Germany were pretty awful but that they have risen in the course of time to something like Western levels. Does anyone know - based on either personal experience or what they have heard from others - whether there are still any significant differences?

Thanks,

Croc
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:08
English to German
+ ...
Both sides know the rates.. Jul 8, 2004

but I do have the impression that eastern or eastern managed agencies offer less, maintaining their accustomed scales.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency rates in West and East Germany for Ger-Eng / Eng-Ger translations - levelling off?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »