receiving/sending money in/from SWITZERLAND
Thread poster: rafael martin calvo

rafael martin calvo
Local time: 14:42
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 9, 2004

Dear colleagues,

I have moved recently to Switzerland, and I’m just wondering about the best way to receive (or eventually send) money while I’m here. Until now, I have always worked through the good old fashioned banking system, expensive and not so user-friendly as it may be at times, but pretty reliable on the whole. However, it seems that there are some alternatives out there…

I have read many of the past postings about PayPal, Moneybookers, Moneygram, etc… and checked the respective web sites, but I don’t really get things as clear as I’d want them. I have bank accounts in Switzerland and Spain, and the wish to reveal through Internet as few banking details as possible.

As some of the EU standards do apply for Switzerland, I would like some advice from people actually living in this country, and effectively receiving/sending money from the US and the EU.

Thanks for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Swiss post (giro) Jul 9, 2004

has been recommended to me by a lady who lives there and has studied the question of international forms of payment. It has the lowest charges, but may not fulfil all client requirements. Worth looking into for specific purposes.

[Edited at 2004-07-09 12:29]

Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:42
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Several reliable alternatives Jul 9, 2004

I've had only good experiences with, Western Union and MoneyGram - both of these last two can also be used from the Internet, depending on the country of origin.

Best regards,

Jose B. Ruivo

Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Payments Switzerland Jul 9, 2004

rafael martin calvo wrote:
it seems that there are some alternatives out there…

Living in Switzerland I can assure you that the alternatives are pretty limited.

1. Where do you need the money, in CH or E ? Within the Euro zone bank transfers are now relatively cheap. So transfers within the zone to or from Spain are no problem.

2. Where are your customers, in wich currency do you bill? If your receipts are denominated in EUR, you also may wish to open an EUR-account in CH, which is easy, saves exchange fees and avoids losses on the exchange rate.
If your customers are overseas, bank charges are a problem indeed.
Paypal etc. is an alternative, but possibly does not cover your customers' countries. Tranfers from Paypal or Moneybooker to a swiss account is not so expensive, but again: Watch the currency conversion.

There is no simple solution for our problem, as long as Swiss banks are not fully integrated in the EURO banking system.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

receiving/sending money in/from SWITZERLAND

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs