Ltemes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:39
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 13, 2004

Hi,
I need to transcribe a documentary in Spanish and then translate the text I have transcribed into English. I've checked out previous postings on this issue but a lot of them refer to AUDIO files and this is a video (DVD) file. I'm thinking of charging per hour for the transcription and then per word for the translation. Any suggestions as to average rates (US Market, in $$) for the transcription? I'm thinking of charging my regular rates for the translation portion of that. TIA to all!

Direct link Reply with quote

Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 11:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Charge by the minute Jul 13, 2004

Hi:
Here in Chile we charge by the minute for transcription and translation. Rates are about US$ 15 per minute of film. US$ 25 if they need voice over.

United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Transcription and Translation Rates for 40-Minute Video Jul 13, 2004

Thanks so much Ricardo! I wish I could write in Spanish, it feels weird in English with un \\\"colega\\\", but I think Forum rules do not permit me to switch language. Anyhow, that\\\'s a lot more than what I was thinking, but I guess you combine BOTH the transcribing & translating into 1 single rate, correct? I\\\'m not sure the agency might agree to that .... but it\\\'s VERY useful for me to know these things. I\\\'ve never done transcription for a video before (audio, yes) so that\\\'s why I\\\'m asking. I\\\'ve seen that people charged anywhere between $3-5 per minute for audio transcriptions. At least, that\\\'s what I figured from reading previous answers to similar questions posted here in Proz forums.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Sormane Fitzgerald Gomes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:39
Member (2004)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
My way. Jul 13, 2004

This is how I do it.

Transcription - $3-5 per minute.
Translation - my regular rates.

Good luck with your project.

Best regards,

Sormane P. Gomes
Portuguese English
www.sormanegomes.com

[Edited at 2004-07-13 23:39]

[Edited at 2004-07-13 23:43]

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:39
Another option Jul 14, 2004

Sormane wrote:

This is how I do it.

Transcription - $3-5 per minute.
Translation - my regular rates.

Good luck with your project.

Best regards,

Sormane P. Gomes
Portuguese English
www.sormanegomes.com

I would charge my regular rates per word for the translation, and my regular hourly rates for the transcription.
¡Saludos y suerte, Laura!

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
slightly off-topic concern... Jul 14, 2004

Hola

I know this is not part of the question, but have you considered what kind of equipment you may need? I am not sure whether this applies to VCRs, but certainly tape recorders may get ruined by constant stopping and rewinding of a 40 minute tape (needless to say, it will take you much more than 40 minutes to transcribe it). There are audio transcribers in the market, built especially for that purpose. I know nothing about video transcribers.

Hope this does not discourage you, but I would do some research. And I apologize in advance if I am mistaken about this, perhaps other colleagues may want to either confirm or contradict me.

Best luck,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator EUTI
sgalilea@ispwest.com
www.accentonspanish.com

[Edited at 2004-07-14 00:46]

United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Transcription and Translation Rates for 40-minute Video Jul 14, 2004

Hola Susana,

Thanks for your query. I've definitely got the necessary equipment, the material will be on a DVD disc. It's not a subtitling project, nor voice over nor dubbing. It's just a transcription (which the client doesn't even need) and then a regular translation, which is what the client needs. With regards to audio, I've done transcriptions before and yes, you need to have several back-up tapes (copies), at least I always had them.

GRACIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS :lol)

United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Transcription and Translation Rates for 40-minute Video Jul 14, 2004

Sormane,

THANKS so much. This info is very useful!!

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
excellent :) Jul 14, 2004

Ltemes wrote:
Thanks for your query. I've definitely got the necessary equipment, the material will be on a DVD disc.

Back to minding my business

All best,

S.G.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription and Translation Rates for 40-minute Video

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs