posted rates - for target language or source? (De->En)
Thread poster: Kevin Pfeiffer (X)
Kevin Pfeiffer (X)
Kevin Pfeiffer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:12
German to English
+ ...
Jul 14, 2004

Hi,

I'm surprised how low posted rates are here for De -> En. One thing I noticed is that someone had posted rates based on the target language (which in the case of this lang. pair helps a bit).

Is there a standard or convention used here (target lang vs. source lang)?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No fixed convention for rates shown Jul 14, 2004

Hi Kevin,
Is there a standard or convention used here (target lang vs. source lang)?

No, there isn't - if you're referring to rates quoted in profiles, these are supposed to be average, non-binding indications anyway.

HTH, Ralf

Kevin Pfeiffer (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
but... Jul 14, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:
No, there isn't - if you're referring to rates quoted in profiles, these are supposed to be average, non-binding indications anyway.

So, if someone contacts me, I can say, "but these rates are for the target (English) language"? (Thinking of the recent example here: Steinkohlenkraftwerk (1 word) vs. "coal-fired power plant".)

[Edited at 2004-07-14 13:42]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Non-binding Jul 14, 2004

Hi again,
If someone contacts you, quote your price for the job at hand, also quoting the convention. Once again, these rates are indicative; besides, you're quoting a range.

Best regards, Ralf

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
To complicate matters Jul 14, 2004

Your German customers might prefer "Normzeile" (search with Google) and your English customers a rate per word. Some customers perform a word count with Microsoft Word, others count with Trados or another (CAT) tool. Counting source characters or words has one obvious advantage when quoting: your customers will know the exact amount of your bill before you start the translation.

Regards,
Gerard

Kevin Pfeiffer (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-) Jul 14, 2004

Gerard de Noord wrote:
Your German customers might prefer "Normzeile"

_I_ prefer them, too. But that option (or better, some kind of magical conversion) is not available here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

posted rates - for target language or source? (De->En)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »