spam from \'thepolyglots\'
Thread poster: Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 05:48
German to English
+ ...
Apr 19, 2002

I have just received an ad by e-mail to join the following service:

http://www.thepolyglots.com/

They invite translators to register with their site - for $30 a year or so. They advertise themselves as the best and cheapest (!!) translation service around. To top it all off, they advise potential clients that their translations will rarely cost more than 5 cents a word (!!!).

... See more
I have just received an ad by e-mail to join the following service:

http://www.thepolyglots.com/

They invite translators to register with their site - for $30 a year or so. They advertise themselves as the best and cheapest (!!) translation service around. To top it all off, they advise potential clients that their translations will rarely cost more than 5 cents a word (!!!).

Well, here\'s my reply to them:
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
So did I Apr 19, 2002

I threw it out.

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And even worse ... Apr 19, 2002

... is the fact that they are not an online directory like ProZ, but an agency. Who has ever heard of an agency charging their subcontractors $30 a year (or any amount, for that matter)?????? This borders on fraud, if you ask me. In other words, if they find enough gullible people (e.g., 5,000), they\'ll make $150,000 a year without ever producing a single translation.

You never know: they might try to hang around for a year, milk as many people as possible and then disappea
... See more
... is the fact that they are not an online directory like ProZ, but an agency. Who has ever heard of an agency charging their subcontractors $30 a year (or any amount, for that matter)?????? This borders on fraud, if you ask me. In other words, if they find enough gullible people (e.g., 5,000), they\'ll make $150,000 a year without ever producing a single translation.

You never know: they might try to hang around for a year, milk as many people as possible and then disappear (and $150,000 is not bad for a year\'s work).

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-19 17:56 ]
Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
Just delete Apr 19, 2002

I got that message too. As soon as I saw \"it\'s free until June and after that we\'ll start charging $30\", I sent it to the trash bin. My time is worth much more than that, especially on such a beautiful spring-like day! In any case, I wish them luck.

Erika

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did you chech their 'translated' pages? Apr 20, 2002

At least the one in Spanish leaves a lot to be desired.

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, ... Apr 20, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-20 01:23, Dyran wrote:

At least the one in Spanish leaves a lot to be desired.

... that\'s what you get for 5 cents a word (max.)!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

spam from \'thepolyglots\'

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »