Payments from the U.S.
Thread poster: Guillermo de la Puerta

Guillermo de la Puerta  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:06
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 29, 2004

Dear Colleagues,

I am going to receive a payment from the U.S. (I live in Spain) and the company asks me to choose a payment option.
I really don't know which one to choose. The amount is really small.Is there anyway to avoid deducting fees via Paypal or something like that?

The options are the following:

Receive payments regardless of the amount.

0 Hold payments of finished projects until these reach a certain amount before processing payment:
(US$100, US$500, US$1,000, US$1,500)

0 Receive payments of finished projects via regular mail.

0 Receive payment via courier (Fedex, UPS, TNT, USPS) with a shipping fee of US$15-$50 per package
sent*. Charges are deducted from your payment.

The next question is which steps I must follow to receive the money via Paypal.
I know it must be very simple but I haven't used Paypal until now since I haven't got the need to use it.

What would you recommend me?
Which is the quickest and the cheapest way?

Thanks in advance and Kind Regards willdlp

Direct link Reply with quote

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
Via regular mail Jul 29, 2004

willdlp wrote:

The options are the following:

Receive payments regardless of the amount.

0 Hold payments of finished projects until these reach a certain amount before processing payment:
(US$100, US$500, US$1,000, US$1,500)

0 Receive payments of finished projects via regular mail.

0 Receive payment via courier (Fedex, UPS, TNT, USPS) with a shipping fee of US$15-$50 per package
sent*. Charges are deducted from your payment.

I don't see why you don't simply select "regular mail". It's going to take a few days, so what? You said it's a small amount, so you're obviously not counting on it to pay your rent.

Best,
Esther

xxxTadzio
English to Spanish
Use PayPal, colleague! Jul 29, 2004

If you receive a check from USA, your bank in Spain will charge you 30 to 40 dollars in order to cash your check, besides 20 or 30 days for doing it.
If you use PayPal, money goes directly to your bank account after clicking "withdraw". Charges are infinitely less.
Good luck!
Tadzio.

Gitte Gifford
English to Danish
+ ...
Ask them for a cheque and half of the banking fee Jul 29, 2004

I usually ask them to send me a cheque and include half of the banking fee for cashing foreign cheques - which in my case is
$ 15.00. Ask your bank what they charge for that service.
Most agencies are happy with that option.
Some even add the whole amount on top of the payment.

I do not use PayPal myself, as I get charged twice for receiving money through them.

A few agencies are quite happy to pay via bank transfer/wire but that only happens in very few cases as banking fees from US to Europe often are quite expensive for the agencies around $ 35-40.

swisstell
Italy
German to English
+ ...
I recommend Paypal as being swift and cheap. Jul 29, 2004

although I will qualify this by saying that my Paypal experience is limited to one and the same currency, the US$.
The fees some colleagues are complaining about are not, in my opinion, unjustified "just fees" but due to currency discrepancies.

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to use it? Jul 30, 2004

Tadzio wrote:

If you receive a check from USA, your bank in Spain will charge you 30 to 40 dollars in order to cash your check, besides 20 or 30 days for doing it.
If you use PayPal, money goes directly to your bank account after clicking "withdraw". Charges are infinitely less.
Good luck!
Tadzio.

I have a Paypal Account but I have never used it. It must be very simple but what exactly must I tell the agency to do? Which steps or what must I indicate them?

Kind Regards willdlp

vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 13:06
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Instruction in ProZ FAQ Jul 30, 2004

The easiest way is to add a PayPal button to your profile page and refer your clients to your profile page for access to your PayPal account. When they click the PayPal button they can enter the amount and any additional information, such as the invoice number.

The instructions for adding this PayPal button to your ProZ profile can be found at http://www.proz.com/faq/profile#paypal_in_profile

2. How can I accept Paypal payments through my profile page?

First, you need to set up a paypal account. Go to: http://www.x.com (Click on 'Sign up for
your FREE PayPal Account')

It will take a few days to a week for your account to go through. Once it has, you simply go to your ProZ.com profile, click on 'edit personal data', and then enter the email address you used to set up the paypal account in the "paypal payment email" space provided.

Of course, you can also check the Help info on the PayPal website.

Good luck!

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They don't accept it Jul 30, 2004

vixen wrote:

The easiest way is to add a PayPal button to your profile page and refer your clients to your profile page for access to your PayPal account. When they click the PayPal button they can enter the amount and any additional information, such as the invoice number.

The instructions for adding this PayPal button to your ProZ profile can be found at http://www.proz.com/faq/profile#paypal_in_profile

2. How can I accept Paypal payments through my profile page?

First, you need to set up a paypal account. Go to: http://www.x.com (Click on 'Sign up for
your FREE PayPal Account')

It will take a few days to a week for your account to go through. Once it has, you simply go to your ProZ.com profile, click on 'edit personal data', and then enter the email address you used to set up the paypal account in the "paypal payment email" space provided.

Of course, you can also check the Help info on the PayPal website.

Good luck!

Thanks, I have added the Paypal account to my profile but unfortunately the don't accept this kind of payment.Only wire or check.

Thanks anyway

Kind Regards willdlp

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payments from the U.S.

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs