Thread poster: Sormane Fitzgerald Gomes

Sormane Fitzgerald Gomes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:38
Member (2004)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jul 30, 2004

I get a lot of agencies and clients always wanting the document translated by "yesterday."

I'm just curious. I don't hear that discussed much.
Do you charge a rush fee?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

[Edited at 2004-07-30 02:23]

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Usually Not Jul 30, 2004

It often happens that my regular clients, who are good to me, sometimes need things in a hurry. If they do, I get it out to them in time to meet their short deadline and just charge my regular rate.

Work has to be done anyway, and I figure the faster, the better. In some cases I may charge extra for a rush, but in recent years I cannot recall doing it much if at all.

However, as a general practice I would recommend charging perhaps 25-50% more or even double if you really have to burn the candle at both ends. It's quite legitimate.

Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
+ ...
It deppends on what the rush entails. Jul 30, 2004

If "rush" means that I would need to work extra hours in the evening or the weekend, then, yes, I would charge 50% more. Those who are serious about their "rush" needs will gladly pay the extra bucks. If all the rush requires is that I sit down and do the work now rather than later, so I can deliver it today rather than in 24 hours, then I see no point in charging extra.

Two things I would not do:

- compromise quality to satisfy a client who is in a hurry; and

- break prior commitments to secure a new job, no matter how much the client is willing to pay.

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:38
Member (2003)
German to English
One rule of thumb Jul 30, 2004

Someone suggested in a post here a while ago that the decision to charge rush prices should be based on your own general speed. If you can handle 3,000 words a day, and aren't busy with other projects, then a "rush" 1,000 word project probably isn't worthy of rush prices. A 8,500 word project over two days, though, is more than your normal capacity, and probably is.

I've been following this rule for about a year and it's worked well.

[Edited at 2004-07-30 08:15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you charge a rush fee?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs