Mobile menu

Charging for reworking your translation?
Thread poster: N.M. Eklund

N.M. Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:48
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Jul 30, 2004

Hello everyone,
I have a repeat client for small translations for brochures and pamphlets. The space is always limited, and very often they give me a limit of characters to translate into.

They ask that I edit the translations, also rewriting it if necessary, since the French is often pretty poetic. This I include in the translation rate.

This last time, After I had sent it to them, they called me back and said they needed it to be redone with even less characters. (They goofed)

I don't know if anyone has ever tried this before, but it's pretty difficult keeping the meaning and tone of three paragraphs in two sentences.

Anyway, I charged them for reworking it (at a lower rate) since I had already sent in the original translation as they had previously specified. Was I wrong in doing this?

Also, I just saw Brian's post about 'transcreation'. Does my modification of their texts fall into this category? It's highly artistic text and flowery language, that they asked me to make more palatable yet marketable to the English-speaking public.

[Edited at 2004-07-30 17:18]

[Edited at 2004-07-30 17:19]

Direct link Reply with quote

Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:48
Member (2002)
English to German
Good move Jul 30, 2004

You were right of course. You had to spend extra time and it wasn't your fault that the first text had to be redone. Additional work means additional payment.

Regards

Andy

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:48
I have a client that requires such type of translations frequently... Jul 30, 2004

NMEklund wrote:

Hello everyone,
I have a repeat client for small translations for brochures and pamphlets. The space is always limited, and very often they give me a limit of characters to translate into.
They ask that I edit the translations, also rewriting it if necessary, since the French is often pretty poetic. This I include in the translation rate.
This last time, After I had sent it to them, they called me back and said they needed it to be redone with even less characters. (They goofed)
I don't know if anyone has ever tried this before, but it's pretty difficult keeping the meaning and tone of three paragraphs in two sentences.
Anyway, I charged them for reworking it (at a lower rate) since I had already sent in the original translation as they had previously specified. Was I wrong in doing this?

... and just like you do, the "service" of fitting the translation to the size they need is included in my per word rate. However, when they come back asking for more changes, I take it as an editing job, and charge them my hourly rate... so far, no problem!

N.M. Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:48
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hourly versus word Jul 30, 2004

... and just like you do, the "service" of fitting the translation to the size they need is included in my per word rate. However, when they come back asking for more changes, I take it as an editing job, and charge them my hourly rate... so far, no problem!

Oh, I charged by word. Is it generally more accepted to charge the editing by hour?

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:48
Not really, it all depends... Jul 30, 2004

NMEklund wrote:

[Oh, I charged by word. Is it generally more accepted to charge the editing by hour?

... with what the client and the translator feel more comfortable. When a client asks me to provide an editing rate per word, I charge one third of my normal translation rate per word. Hope this helps!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging for reworking your translation?

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs