Beginner question: how to bill?
Thread poster: perpetua
perpetua
Local time: 18:09
German to Polish
+ ...
Aug 6, 2004

Hi!!

I’m new on ProZ.com. and I’am only a beginner in translation word. I have no idea how to deal with payments in the future, i.e. on what basis shall I charge for translations. Let’s say I get a translation job, do it, and charge money for it. I cannot send any invoice to the client for I’m not a self-employee; shall I charge the client on the basis of a contract for this specific job. Any idea?

Best regards

perpetua

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-08-06 13:41]

Direct link Reply with quote

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
you must issue an invoice Aug 6, 2004

even if you're not self-employed, I am sure there are some laws in your country regulating your status.
If you have an income, then you most probably have to declare it with the fiscal authorities in order to pay taxes on the income. And these taxes are calculated based on the invoices you issue. Should you fail to do this, you might be liable for tax evasion.
HTH

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
And what prevents you from becoming one? Aug 6, 2004

perpetua wrote:

I cannot send any invoice to the client for I�m not a self-employee;
perpetua

The simplest option is to become a self-employed person (zarejestrowaæ dzia³alno¶æ gospodarcz±) and if you have reasons not to do so, you should work based on umowa o dzie³o and issue rachunek subsequently.

HTH
Magda

perpetua
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks guys! Aug 11, 2004

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

perpetua wrote:

I cannot send any invoice to the client for I�m not a self-employee;
perpetua

The simplest option is to become a self-employed person (zarejestrowaæ dzia³alno¶æ gospodarcz±) and if you have reasons not to do so, you should work based on umowa o dzie³o and issue rachunek subsequently.

HTH
Magda

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your advice to become a self-employed person. The thing is that I’m a real beginner which means I haven’t got any translation job offers so far. I tried to start cooperation with some translation offices, but it’s not that simple. There are hundreds of translators with English and German on the market and I don’t blame the people who choose an experienced translator and not someone out of nowhere. I have a regular job (some 90% of it is translation and interpreting for a German employee of the company), but I’m looking for some better perspectives, for development, for more experience. Becoming a self-employed person would make sense if I had already some clients on more or less regular basis. I just don’t want to start all the registration procedure (which consumes a lot of time in Poland!), because I don’t see any reason for it so far.
..... well, it is not easy to start, but I’m not giving up! No way!

Best regards

perpetua

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beginner question: how to bill?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs