https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/23779-check_lost_in_mail_what_next.html

Check lost in mail - what next?
Thread poster: Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:14
English to Russian
Aug 12, 2004

I failed to receive a check from a client. The client (a translation agency) says they sent it on 17 July 2004. It is one of my best clients and I have absolutely no reason to doubt that the check was lost in the mail.

What is the usual procedure in this situation? Does the agency cancel the missing check and issue a new one? If so, what do I do if I receive the original check afterwards (I once received a check from a US-based client that somehow visited the Philippines before endi
... See more
I failed to receive a check from a client. The client (a translation agency) says they sent it on 17 July 2004. It is one of my best clients and I have absolutely no reason to doubt that the check was lost in the mail.

What is the usual procedure in this situation? Does the agency cancel the missing check and issue a new one? If so, what do I do if I receive the original check afterwards (I once received a check from a US-based client that somehow visited the Philippines before ending in my mailbox)? Should I advise my client accordingly? Or do I just tear it up?

Thank you in advance for any input you may offer.
Collapse

Kurt Porter
Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:14
Russian to English
+ ...
Check Lost - Steps Aug 12, 2004

Vladimir,

From your post, it appears you have a great relatonship with the client. I would simply write them a letter stating that it appears the check has been lost in the mail. I'd then ask them to cancel it and issue another check. As you've stated, I'd also inform them you can send them back the cancelled check should it show up.

Many the freelance translators that work for my institute don't receive their checks via the Russian mail system. They simply get lost
... See more
Vladimir,

From your post, it appears you have a great relatonship with the client. I would simply write them a letter stating that it appears the check has been lost in the mail. I'd then ask them to cancel it and issue another check. As you've stated, I'd also inform them you can send them back the cancelled check should it show up.

Many the freelance translators that work for my institute don't receive their checks via the Russian mail system. They simply get lost. As they are contracting to the U.S. Government, they have to fill out the appropriate forms, wait 30 additional days from submission of said form, then the check is reissued. Rather than deal with the hassle, many get bank accounts in Europe and have their funds EFT'd.

Good luck with this!

Sincerely,
Kurt
Collapse

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Russian mail system is not to blame here :-) Aug 12, 2004

Thanks for your advice, Kurt.

Many the freelance translators that work for my institute don't receive their checks via the Russian mail system. They simply get lost.

Not my case, as I am in Cyprus now working under a long-term on site translation and interpreting contract.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:14
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Give it more time Aug 12, 2004

Hi Vladimir

It once happened to me.
The check went back to the sender because there was a number missing in the address. They sent it back and everything happened normally then. But it took quite a longtime.

If the issuer contacts his bank to cancel that check they'll be charged for that (and you might have to pay those charges, or at least half of them).
As there's no doubt that they have paid, find an agreement on what to do. The safest solution for the cl
... See more
Hi Vladimir

It once happened to me.
The check went back to the sender because there was a number missing in the address. They sent it back and everything happened normally then. But it took quite a longtime.

If the issuer contacts his bank to cancel that check they'll be charged for that (and you might have to pay those charges, or at least half of them).
As there's no doubt that they have paid, find an agreement on what to do. The safest solution for the client is to cancel that check and issue another one. Then, whenever you receive the first check, destroying it is enough. You don't need to send it back to them. Or... send just half of it.

Claudia
Collapse

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:14
Dutch to English
+ ...
Checks by snail mail take a very long time. Aug 12, 2004

Dear Vladimir,

Checks sent by regular mail over large distances (like halfway or all the way around the world) do tend to take a very long time and even make sizeable detours. I always allow extra time for those. I live in South America and have a client in Israel who sends me checks by mail. It sure takes a very long time for them to arrive. If it appears that they are overdue much longer than normal, they issue a
... See more
Dear Vladimir,

Checks sent by regular mail over large distances (like halfway or all the way around the world) do tend to take a very long time and even make sizeable detours. I always allow extra time for those. I live in South America and have a client in Israel who sends me checks by mail. It sure takes a very long time for them to arrive. If it appears that they are overdue much longer than normal, they issue a new one and I destroy the other check if it does ever turn up.

I think that it is a good idea as well to return the voided check or part of it. I used to do that in the beginning but we have had such a long-standing working relationship that I now just destroy the check.

I hope that you get it soon.
Good luck!

Lucinda

[Edited at 2004-08-12 22:29]
Collapse

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Check has arrived... two months after it was sent Oct 1, 2004

Thanks to everybody for your valueable inputs.

The check arrived on 18 Sep 2004, i.e. exactly two months after it had been sent. The reason for delay was quite simple. The Postal Office sticker on the back of the envelope read as follows:

"The sender did not pay enough Airmail postage on this item, so we had to divert it to an alternative service - sorry if there was a delay."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Check lost in mail - what next?

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »