https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/24105-profreading_for_usa_agengy_salary_advice_please.html

profreading for USA agengy. Salary advice please
Thread poster: Laura Porcelli
Laura Porcelli
Laura Porcelli
Local time: 01:25
Aug 24, 2004

Hi everybody,
I have recently moved to the US and I am trying to get going with my job as I did back in italy.
I have been contacted by an agency nearby and they want to know my hourly rate for proofreading english-italian translations. They have assured me it is not editing but proofreading.
I usually give my quote only when i am given a specific project, as each project (as you all probably know very well) is different. But this time I would like to give a general hourly rat
... See more
Hi everybody,
I have recently moved to the US and I am trying to get going with my job as I did back in italy.
I have been contacted by an agency nearby and they want to know my hourly rate for proofreading english-italian translations. They have assured me it is not editing but proofreading.
I usually give my quote only when i am given a specific project, as each project (as you all probably know very well) is different. But this time I would like to give a general hourly rate because I do not want to risk losing this connection here.

Would anyone be so kind to suggest a tariff? Or maybe suggest where i can find a general price list of a freelance translator here in the us (possibly with italian)?

thank u all very much!!!
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
$20-$25 per hour Aug 25, 2004

This is what is paid in NYC. When you work at an hourly rate, you don't really care how much editing is necessary, you just do it and charge accordingly -- respecting, of course, the instructions you're given (no change for synonyms, for example).

E benvenuta, Vampirella!

Esther

Laura Porcelli
Laura Porcelli
Local time: 01:25
TOPIC STARTER
THX Aug 25, 2004

Grazie mille!
fngers crossed!!!!!!

nettranslatorde
nettranslatorde
Russian to German
+ ...
0.03 to 0.04 US$ per source word... Aug 25, 2004

would be an alternative and is the fee most US agencies I work for would pay.

However, be careful: I would only agree to this along with the explanation that this is a rate for proofreading a translation of good to average quality. Anything below his standard would be proofread based on an hourly rate.

Good luck,
Kerstin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

profreading for USA agengy. Salary advice please

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »