Mobile menu

Appropriate amount of time to send a "friendly reminder" to an agency?
Thread poster: David Jessop

David Jessop  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 29, 2004

Hello Colleagues,

I completed three jobs for an agency about three weeks ago. A few days later, I sent an invoice and recieved an email saying "Thank you." Since then, I have heard absolutely nothing. I don`t want to be pushy but want to make sure that I am paid for the job, which is a significant amount of money. Should I send a friendly reminder or wait some more time? Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Saludos.

David

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:46
English to German
+ ...
Payment terms? Aug 29, 2004

Hi David,
What were the payment terms agreed upon?

Best, Ralf

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
payment terms Aug 29, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi David,
What were the payment terms agreed upon?

Best, Ralf

Hi Ralf,

We did not discuss a specific time frame in which the agency would pay. As the agency is ranked extremely highly in the BlueBoard, I did not feel a need to request payment upfront or ask for payment within a set amount of time. Perhaps this would have been a good idea, regardless of the fact that the agency is favorably listed.

David

xxxPRen  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:46
French to English
+ ...
Wait 30 days Aug 29, 2004

Hi David, I would wait 30 days from the date they received your invoice, and then wait a couple of days after that to take slow mail delivery into account. Waiting 45 days is certainly not out of place, but 30 days is generally the rule. After that, call them or email/fax them a reminder with the invoice attached. Next time, put 30 days net on your invoice as a term.

Paula

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:46
English to German
+ ...
Basic transaction terms Aug 29, 2004

Hi David,
I see your point, but terms of payment are a basic part of the transaction. If nothing was agreed upon, there's only one way to find out: ask them. Quite a few agencies apply a 30-day term, so why don't you give it another week and then touch base with them?

Cheers, Ralf

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 29, 2004

Thanks a lot Paula and Ralf, your suggestions are very helpful.

David

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:46
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Just an addition Aug 29, 2004

to the above said - mostly the terms are "30 days end of the month", that means- not 30 days from the date you issued your invoice, but 30 days from the last day of the month in which you issued your invoice.
As to remainders- we usually start "gentle remainders" if payment is 2 weeks overdue. (Please take into account that money can be on its way even one week- and that is within Europe).

Uldis

Erika Pavelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:46
French to English
10 days after payment due Aug 30, 2004

Hi David,

I usually wait until 10 days after payment is due to send out a reminder. I always give the client the benefit of the doubt - perhaps they paid the day the invoice was due and the mail didn't get out right away or the cheque is on its way.

It might be a good idea to ask what their payment terms are. A new client I started working for this year sent payment for the first invoice within 30 days, but subsequent invoices were being paid closer to 60 days after. I asked my client and she told me they pay between 30 and 60 days after the date. Now I don't get concerned if my invoice isn't paid until after 60 days.

Erika

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Appropriate amount of time to send a "friendly reminder" to an agency?

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs