Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
http://www.proz.com/job/62144 (low-priced offer by outsourcer with good ratings)
Thread poster: Asya Sokirko

Asya Sokirko  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:48
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Sep 10, 2004

I am not sure this is the right forum for this question. If it is not, I hope the moderator will just let me know)
Ladies and Gentlemen, please take a look at job 62114 (see the link above). To make the long story short - it is a translation of a commercial lease from German into English, and the price is 0.05 USD/word. Now, we have seen a lot of those, but here comes the trick. This agency has got an excellent Blue Board record, just about everybody seems to be thrilled to be working with them.
Could anybody please explain me, how in the whole world things like that happen?
Cheers,
Asya

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-09-11 15:20]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxAmandine
Local time: 09:48
English to French
+ ...
Well I do accept that kind of rate Sep 10, 2004

Well I have done some work for such rate simply because some companies do offer low rates of $0.05 per wprd but they also pay you straight away (and I mean within 2 days) so I don\\\'t mind doing a stress free job for a low rate when I have the assurance I will get paid (I am still waiting for payment after a 24000 words translation since February!).

Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Two words: Fast Payment Sep 10, 2004

Looks like they pay 2 weeks after the work is done. There are a lot of people out there would would rather work for a little less but have the money faster than work for more and have the money later ... or never. Just the way it is, I guess. Humans and instant gratification go hand in hand!

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Another two words come to my mind: Sep 10, 2004

Free market!

United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: fast payment Sep 10, 2004

Well, I must agree that the fast payment is very important in this world. I don't quite understand, though, how paying within two weeks, instead of four or eight or even twelve, for that matter, can decrease the price at least twice. At the very least. It is a highly specialized text, the life standards are fairly high in German and English speaking countries, and people on ProZ seem to agree, that 0.10 USD/word is an absolute minimum you charge for a decent translation.
Go guess ...

United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: free market Sep 10, 2004

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios wrote:

Free market!

That is one thing I totally agree with, I am really not one of those who enters trade unions. I was just curious how it comes about.

xxxAmandine
English to French
+ ...
One more thing Sep 10, 2004

Another thing, when you are fairly new in the wild world of translation you are not going to charge or aim for 0.10 USD per word, you have to start low and gradually increase your price along with your experience.

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:48
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
a surcharge perhaps? Sep 10, 2004

quote from job:

The document will be sent to the translator as images and will need to be sent back as a word file.

do they mean 0.05 USD/word over the translator's normal rate to compensate for the problems involved in dealing with "images" perhaps?

Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:48
Russian to English
+ ...
It's a Russian Thing Too Sep 10, 2004

asya wrote:

I am not sure this is the right forum for this question. If it is not, I hope the moderator will just let me know)
Ladies and Gentlemen, please take a look at job 62114 (see the link above). To make the long story short - it is a translation of a commercial lease from German into English, and the price is 0.05 USD/word. Now, we have seen a lot of those, but here comes the trick. This agency has got an excellent Blue Board record, just about everybody seems to be thrilled to be working with them.
Could anybody please explain me, how in the whole world things like that happen?
Cheers,
Asya

Asya,

One see's it on the Russian-English market too. Here's one of my favorite recent postings.

"We have two documents related to the marketing research of the Russian Post to be translated into English. Expertise in this field required. Deadline - Tuesday, September 14. The job may be split between two translators. Trados users preferred." 0.3-0.4 cents a word."

Ok...gotta have expertise in the field. One week deadline, 32K words, Trados preferred...may split the work, blah blah.

As we all know, one should most probably translate into one's native tounge. Granted, there are some VERY talented people out there that are exceptions to this rule, but not many.

I think that the reason the above type of announcement comes out on Proz fairly frequently is that there are plenty of non-native English speakers that will take the assignment for that sum (R-E). I've seen some of that work, and I shudder (no offense to those above-mentioned exceptions). However, as somone noted, it's a free market. If the client is willing to sacrifice quality for cost, it's the client's decision and loss(in the long run).

R,
Kurt

United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: surcharge Sep 10, 2004

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:
do they mean 0.05 USD/word over the translator's normal rate to compensate for the problems involved in dealing with "images" perhaps?

That is precisely my point - it looks more like a surcharge, than the actual payment, doesn't it? No, it is not a surcharge, it is the payment, it is very clear from the ad. But then, I guess, people have already answered my question. I mean it, I am not being ironic. Apparently, if you pay very quickly, you can offer a very low price and there is a market for this. Period.

United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Kurt Sep 10, 2004

Kurt Porter wrote:
Here's one of my favorite recent postings.

"We have two documents related to the marketing research of the Russian Post to be translated into English. Expertise in this field required. Deadline - Tuesday, September 14. The job may be split between two translators. Trados users preferred." 0.3-0.4 cents a word."

But this one is from GERMAN into ENGLISH. Do you think they are out there looking for Russians?

[Edited at 2004-09-10 20:17]

Jussara Simoes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
0.3 / word? Wow! Sep 10, 2004

[quote]Kurt Porter wrote:

Which currency? If you're talking about USD or Euro, I'd love making 0.3 or 0.4 per word!

If I did not misunderstand this thread, it started because somebody was complaining about 0.05 per word, but I'd gladly work for 0.3 or 0.4! How much are you making per word, if 0.3 is too little for you?

XXXXX
JPS

Victor Potapov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Low rates EXCLUDE native speakers of target language - and "cheap" agencies encourage this Sep 10, 2004

asya wrote:

But this one is from GERMAN into ENGLISH. Do you think they are out there looking for Russians?

[Edited at 2004-09-10 20:17]

Not necessarily for Russians (or residents of any other country) - they are looking for the lowest bidder they still can trust.

Tricky thing, finding this balance...

and answering Kurt, I think such agencies/intermediaries do NOT care whether you are native speaker of target language as long as you agree to their rates. And then there are agencies paying very good money - but only to trusted, tested contractors.

Guess it's commodity markets vs. niche boutiques - two different business models at work. Everybody working in this field needs to understand what business model they fit - and what are their options and capabilities within selected model.

Good luck in specialization!

Victor.

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:48
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
niche markets: or you don't really belong in that 3-cent market, do you? Sep 11, 2004

Victor Potapov wrote:

Guess it's commodity markets vs. niche boutiques - two different business models at work. Everybody working in this field needs to understand what business model they fit.

Victor.

Tochno-s, tovarisch!

We all start entrenched in the commodity market of our choice. The goal is to aim for the niche boutique of preference! The vehicle for doing that has wheels of education, a body of experience and a steering wheel of quality. We get a flat sometimes but your spare (enthusiasm) at the trunk (drive) will save ya and help you carry on cruisin.

Happy driving,
Marcus

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
A free and cruel market Sep 11, 2004

There are products and services of any price in any market, and there is no reason why anything should be traded far off its value.
Even a professional dumping attack works only if it leads to a monopoly, otherwise it works against its originator, so the problem will be solved automatically - which might hurt, though.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

http://www.proz.com/job/62144 (low-priced offer by outsourcer with good ratings)

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs