Receiving payment in Brazil from abroad - advice (?)
Thread poster: ROCHA-ROBINSON
ROCHA-ROBINSON
ROCHA-ROBINSON  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:14
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sep 11, 2004

Anyone with specific experience of receiving payment in Brazil via the following:

PayPal
Moneybookers
Western Union
Other...?

Regarding - facility of use, rates, timescale, withdrawal etc...

Which is the easiest form of payment for all concerned?

Many sincere thanks!

Steve Robinson
Brazil
www.proz.com/pro/78313

Luciano Monteiro
Luciano Monteiro  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:14
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Some info Sep 11, 2004

Hello

On the translator's side, I believe the best way is to receive funds by Western Union. Once the sender informs you of a specific number/password, you can go to any Banco do Brasil branch with your personal document to claim the money. I think the only fee payable by the receiver is the CPMF. Another similar option is to receive by AMEX Moneygram. In this case, you can withdraw the money at American Express offices. Both WU and MoneyGram transfers are done almost instantly.
... See more
Hello

On the translator's side, I believe the best way is to receive funds by Western Union. Once the sender informs you of a specific number/password, you can go to any Banco do Brasil branch with your personal document to claim the money. I think the only fee payable by the receiver is the CPMF. Another similar option is to receive by AMEX Moneygram. In this case, you can withdraw the money at American Express offices. Both WU and MoneyGram transfers are done almost instantly.

With regards to Paypal, you can open a Brazilian account and receive the money, but it will be locked in your account unless you have a US bank account, in which case, and depending on the bank, you may be allowed to withdraw it at some ATMs in Brazil after having transferred the funds from your Paypal account to your US bank account.

I cannot tell anything about Moneybookers, but I know that Ikobo may be another solution for you. It works similarly to Paypal or Moneybookers, but you can actually withdraw the money straight from your Ikobo account. When you are paid by Ikobo for the first time, you receive a card with which you´ll be able to withdraw funds at some ATMs. I´ve never used Ikobo, thus I don´t know all details. You might want to take a look at www.ikobo.com.

Good luck

Luciano Monteiro
Canoas - Brazil
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:14
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I usually use PayPal Sep 12, 2004

Hi Steve,
I live in Brazil, but have a bank account in New York, so I usually receive payments via PayPal, although I have received bank transfers a couple of times. too. PayPal works great for me. I have their debit card, and I can withdraw money from Citibank with it here in Rio, without transferring my money to my account in NY.

If you have a friend or family member in the U.S. who is willing to put your name on their account, this works very well. I did this with my daught
... See more
Hi Steve,
I live in Brazil, but have a bank account in New York, so I usually receive payments via PayPal, although I have received bank transfers a couple of times. too. PayPal works great for me. I have their debit card, and I can withdraw money from Citibank with it here in Rio, without transferring my money to my account in NY.

If you have a friend or family member in the U.S. who is willing to put your name on their account, this works very well. I did this with my daughter, and she uses the checking account while I use the savings, so we can keep our funds separate.

Amy
Collapse

power
power
English
ikobo Sep 14, 2004

yes. I think Ikobo is an alternative choice for paypal and moneybook. When someone transfers money to you at first time, Ikobo will mail you an I-kard( a kind of visa debit card). You can use this card to withdraw money at any visa atm machines. And after the first time, you can recieve money immediately. The i-kard is very convenient.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving payment in Brazil from abroad - advice (?)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »