Saleh Chowdhury, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 02:14
Member (2004)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sep 19, 2004

I would like to know about the income tax on Freelance Translators of the following countries: Canada, Australia, Malaysia, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland.
Any information would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
Saleh

Per Riise (X)
Per Riise (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 22:14
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Norwegian income tax Sep 19, 2004

36 per cent up to approx. NOK340,000, then 49 per cent.

Nigel Skipper (X)
Nigel Skipper (X)
Swedish to English
Swedish income tax Sep 20, 2004

You could write a book about the various effects of Swedish income tax on a self-employed person (in fact several books!). The Swedish taxation authority RSV (Riksskatteverket) has a very complete (if not easily navigatable) home page in English that will tell you absolutely everything about paying tax in Sweden, however some guidance from an experienced accountant is a must - there are lots of exceptions and exemptions.

But, to give you a really simple answer, you can recon on keep
... See more
You could write a book about the various effects of Swedish income tax on a self-employed person (in fact several books!). The Swedish taxation authority RSV (Riksskatteverket) has a very complete (if not easily navigatable) home page in English that will tell you absolutely everything about paying tax in Sweden, however some guidance from an experienced accountant is a must - there are lots of exceptions and exemptions.

But, to give you a really simple answer, you can recon on keeping about half of your total PROFIT, that is, income minus expenses - and this is where it become difficult, because the ways around reducing your "profit" are many! Sorry I can't be more exact, but you also have to take into account what sort of pension level you want to have in the future and how much you will get in sick-pay (are self employees ever sick??) - it's a real minefield.

Go in to:

http://skatteverket.se/

and click on the map of the world in the top right hand corner.

Best of luck,

//Nigel Skipper
Collapse

PRen (X)
PRen (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:14
French to English
+ ...
Check this website Sep 20, 2004

For Canada, go to:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/menu-e.html

I'm sure you can find the information you're seeking.

Paula

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Danish Income Tax Sep 21, 2004

In Denmark we have progressive taxation.
The taxation scheme is very complicated, but I'll give it a try:

Personal allowance varies from person to person.
Everyone pays 38% (approx., varies from municipality to municipality)
Add 6% for incomes over DKK 191,100
Add 15% for incomes over DKK 285,200
Finally there is an 8% labour market contribution (not subject to tax allowance)

To complicate matters further, you can, if you are registrered as
... See more
In Denmark we have progressive taxation.
The taxation scheme is very complicated, but I'll give it a try:

Personal allowance varies from person to person.
Everyone pays 38% (approx., varies from municipality to municipality)
Add 6% for incomes over DKK 191,100
Add 15% for incomes over DKK 285,200
Finally there is an 8% labour market contribution (not subject to tax allowance)

To complicate matters further, you can, if you are registrered as a company, choose between two taxation schemes, but in the end, you have to pay the above tax when you draw the money out for private use.

This is how I understand the system. Everyone please correct me if I'm mistaken.
You see, as a tax payer you're not supposed to understand the system

See an English introduction to the Danish tax system here: http://www.erhverv.toldskat.dk/Vejledninger/Personserien/Pnr_37_ver1_0.pdf

Jørgen

[Edited at 2004-09-21 09:00]

[Edited at 2004-09-21 09:02]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Income tax on Freelance translators

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »