Mobile menu

Which payment options are available from agencies - who should bear transfer fees?
Thread poster: xxxAnnerose MB
xxxAnnerose MB  Identity Verified

Local time: 22:55
English to French
Sep 27, 2004

just wondering if it is normal for an agency:
. to offer only check or wire transfer
. to charge the translator for the wire bank fee (deducted from the payment).

For a short translation of 80 GPB, the wire fee would cost me GPB 21 ... The check could be a problem with Japanese banks. The agency is in UK.

thanks,

[Edited at 2004-09-27 19:46]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-09-27 19:46]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 23:55
English to Estonian
+ ...
So far all US agencies I've dealt with have had me pay all transfer fees Sep 27, 2004

So far all US agencies I've dealt with have required, in advance or afterwards, that I pay all transfer fees. Most European agencies I've dealt with have split the bank transfer fees - they paid their banks' charges for sending, I paid my bank's charges for receiving.

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 23:55
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
We bear bank charges Sep 28, 2004

when paying our translators and all our European clients bear their when paying us.
US and Canada is another matter, some Agencies there have some limit (e.g., invoice less than US 1000- bank charges on you, more than US 1000- charges on them) or they send cheques. Therefore, IMHO, it is not worth while to take small jobs (less than few hundred bucks) from America.

Uldis

Jörgen wrote:

So far all US agencies I've dealt with have required, in advance or afterwards, that I pay all transfer fees. Most European agencies I've dealt with have split the bank transfer fees - they paid their banks' charges for sending, I paid my bank's charges for receiving.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which payment options are available from agencies - who should bear transfer fees?

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs