fsdfsdfsd sdfsdf (X)
fsdfsdfsd sdfsdf (X)
Luxembourg
Local time: 00:19
English to Latvian
+ ...
Sep 30, 2004

Hello Dear Translators.

I have quite embarrassing problem. About 48 days ago I was working on translation. It was not big, so I completed it in the same day. Then I prepared and sent the invoice. I suppose payment happens maximum in 45 days, but till now this company has not gave me the feedback about translation nor about payment date.
WHAT TO DO IN SUCH A SITUATION?

I suppose if they won't pay that money, in fact it is not so big...
See more
Hello Dear Translators.

I have quite embarrassing problem. About 48 days ago I was working on translation. It was not big, so I completed it in the same day. Then I prepared and sent the invoice. I suppose payment happens maximum in 45 days, but till now this company has not gave me the feedback about translation nor about payment date.
WHAT TO DO IN SUCH A SITUATION?

I suppose if they won't pay that money, in fact it is not so big I will publish their name in proz.com

Do think it would be a good solution?

Thanks for advices
Aija

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-09-30 06:50]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Ascertain the situation - re-send invoice by mail Sep 30, 2004

Hi Aija,

What were the payment terms agreed beforehand?
Did you receive a purchase order (PO)?
Did you check the outsourcer in the BlueBoard?
Have you tried calling them on the phone?

I suppose if they won't pay that money, in fact it is not so big I will publish their name in proz.com

Please note that outsourcers must not be mentioned in the forum (check the forum rules).

Please don't hesitate to enter a BlueBoard rating. What I would suggest is to re-send the invoice by normal air mail.

Best regards, Ralf

fsdfsdfsd sdfsdf (X)
fsdfsdfsd sdfsdf (X)
Luxembourg
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Job done - NO money paid :( Sep 30, 2004

Yesterday I sent reminder about payment and attached invoice I sent month ago. No replies.

What were the payment terms agreed beforehand? - as they wrote it could be about 45 days after they get feedback from client.

Did you receive a purchase order (PO)? - No, usually I just send my invoice and that's it.

Did you check the outsourcer in the BlueBoard? - No, I find it is not obligatory, caus company is quite good.

Have you tried calling
... See more
Yesterday I sent reminder about payment and attached invoice I sent month ago. No replies.

What were the payment terms agreed beforehand? - as they wrote it could be about 45 days after they get feedback from client.

Did you receive a purchase order (PO)? - No, usually I just send my invoice and that's it.

Did you check the outsourcer in the BlueBoard? - No, I find it is not obligatory, caus company is quite good.

Have you tried calling them on the phone? - not yet, but suppose I will need to.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:19
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
What country? Sep 30, 2004

In some countries like France agencies have the habit to pay 60 or 90 days End of Month, that means if you send your invoice tomorrow the 60 or 90 days start to run end of October, and they pay in January or February.
I send all my invoices once every month, on the last working day.

But some clients insist on hardcopy invoices.

Kunik
Kunik  Identity Verified
English to Latvian
+ ...
hmmm Sep 30, 2004

I suppose it is a foreign agency, right? Did you send the invoice by snail mail or by e-mail?
In case it is a local agency, contact me via my profile, please

[Edited at 2004-09-30 08:57]

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:19
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hi Aija, Sep 30, 2004

I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you. Thank goodness that it is not a big job. Unfortunately, this has happened to most of us one time or other.

To build further on what the others said: Airmail another invoice. Make sure that you attach the original invoice, plus second/third invoice if you had already sent more AND

request, I believe it is called "Receipt notification requested" from the post office. It costs a little more than regular post but this means
... See more
I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you. Thank goodness that it is not a big job. Unfortunately, this has happened to most of us one time or other.

To build further on what the others said: Airmail another invoice. Make sure that you attach the original invoice, plus second/third invoice if you had already sent more AND

request, I believe it is called "Receipt notification requested" from the post office. It costs a little more than regular post but this means that the person who receives the envelop has to sign for it and you receive a signed copy from the post office. This will show where the post went, who got it, when it was received, if it was forwarded, etc.

Then they cannot say that they have not received your invoice.

Unfortunately, that is not a guarantee that payment will be made. For that you may have to go to court and that is not worth it for a small amount.

But, if they do not pay, please, do register them on the Blue Board. They get informed of a mentioning like that and this might rattle them sufficiently to pay up.

Good luck!
Lucinda

[Edited at 2004-09-30 10:29]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:19
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Not much help probably Oct 1, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

1. Do check always Blue Board, including the agencies you had already good experience.

I consider Blue Board as not a static honor list to qualify an agency but a dynamical source of information showing Payment Practices and Payment Practices Changes. We saw many instances that an agency of high grade got recently low ratings which indicates a possible deterioration in Payment Practices or a financial trouble.Or betterment is also possible. Therefore checking latest development and historical movement of rates is even more important than average rates. Just similar to those famous company financial situation charts.

2. Get confirmation immediately for safe receipt of your invoices on the other side. Do not wait for 48 days only to learn they did not get your invoices etc.
Do not you get confirmation for job deliveries? And do not they confirm they received your translation? If do not, I recommend you to do it as well. But later absolutely get confirmation from the relevant person in the charge of payment(Accountant or PM) that your invoice is received safely.It is good for both side. If you do not get any confirmation for invoice receipt, do start procedures without waiting like sending extra mails to their other e-mail addresses, if no reply to their faxes (Certainly with Phone etc.) But I recommend written communications as they may be used as proofs in future.

To ask for confirmation won't help in cases where the customer simply does not react.
My German netspace provider sends his invoices in pdf with the following text in the mail-body:

Diese Rechnung wurde automatisch erstellt
und ist mit Zustellung per Email gültig.

Kontakt bei Fragen zu Rechnungen:

Is this a legally binding procedure?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job done - NO money paid :(

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »