https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/25312-trados_dicounts_for_matches_where_can_i_find_official_recommendations.html

TRADOS dicounts for matches - Where can I find official recommendations?
Thread poster: Klaus Hartmann
Klaus Hartmann
Klaus Hartmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:11
English to German
+ ...
Oct 4, 2004

I feel like I'll have to introduce a discount system for Trados TM (near/fuzzy etc.) matches. I've heard there's an official document with a price scale somewhere on the Trados website - but I was unable to find it.
What I mean is a document like:
100% and repetitions: invoice at 30%
95% - 99%: invoice at 40%
below 75%: invoice at 100%

I would be very grateful if someone could forward me that link or that file.

It would also be very ki
... See more
I feel like I'll have to introduce a discount system for Trados TM (near/fuzzy etc.) matches. I've heard there's an official document with a price scale somewhere on the Trados website - but I was unable to find it.
What I mean is a document like:
100% and repetitions: invoice at 30%
95% - 99%: invoice at 40%
below 75%: invoice at 100%

I would be very grateful if someone could forward me that link or that file.

It would also be very kind if others would be willing to share their discount structure within this thread.

Thanks in advance!

Klaus Hartmann
Technical translator: En, Fr, Ro > De
Munich
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No official guideline Oct 4, 2004

Hi Klaus,
There is no such thing as an official guideline - as an independent entrepreneur, it's up to you to decide whether or not to grant a discount in the first place (be careful with TMs of unknown origin and quality!), and to determine what the discount should be.

At the end of the day, it's the income per hour worked that counts - any discount will need reflect your time saved as a result of repetitiveness, or overlap with a TM provided.

HTH,
... See more
Hi Klaus,
There is no such thing as an official guideline - as an independent entrepreneur, it's up to you to decide whether or not to grant a discount in the first place (be careful with TMs of unknown origin and quality!), and to determine what the discount should be.

At the end of the day, it's the income per hour worked that counts - any discount will need reflect your time saved as a result of repetitiveness, or overlap with a TM provided.

HTH, Ralf

PS Use the forum search function - there have been numerous threads on this issue.

[Edited at 2004-10-04 10:23]
Collapse

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:11
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Go to Trados website for recommendation Oct 4, 2004

Trados's website SUGGESTS using the 100/60/30 (or vice versa!) rule, but it is not necessarily widely used and it is not an OFFICIAL scale. You do really have to agree your scale with your client/agency.

[Edited at 2004-10-04 10:41]

Klaus Hartmann
Klaus Hartmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much, Ralf and Paul! Reply from TRADOS support: No official recommendations indeed. Oct 7, 2004

I've now received a mail from TRADOS, saying there's indeed no such thing as an official recommendation by TRADOS.

Let me paste that correspondence here, just in case a colleague has the same query sooner or later:

Sehr geehrter Herr Hartmann,

ich habe extra nochmals nachgefragt: so eine Seite haben wir leider nicht.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen
Cordula Lutz
Vertrieb

... See more
I've now received a mail from TRADOS, saying there's indeed no such thing as an official recommendation by TRADOS.

Let me paste that correspondence here, just in case a colleague has the same query sooner or later:

Sehr geehrter Herr Hartmann,

ich habe extra nochmals nachgefragt: so eine Seite haben wir leider nicht.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen
Cordula Lutz
Vertrieb

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,
folgende Anfrage habe ich vor ca. 2 Stunden auch bereits auf die Voicemail der
Trados-Freelancer-Telefonnummer in Stuttgart gesprochen - dies nur um doppelte
Bearbeitung zu vermeiden:

Es soll auf der Homepage von Trados zum Download eine PDF-Datei mit "offiziellen"
Empfehlungen für die Rabattstruktur entsprechend dem Übereinstimmungsgrad mit
einem TM geben, etwa: 100% + Wiederholungen: mit 30% in Rechnung stellen, 95%
- 99%: mit 40% verrechnen... unter 75%: zu 100% verrechnen oder so ähnlich.

Leider konnte ich diese Datei nicht finden.

Ich wäre Ihnen sehr verbunden, wenn Sie mir diese Liste oder den entsprechenden
Link zusenden könnten. (Ich bin Eigentümer von Trados 6.5 Freelance).

Herzlichen Dank!

MfG

Klaus Hartmann
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS dicounts for matches - Where can I find official recommendations?

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »